Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah!
What's a Utah? LOL I'm just kidding, I know alittle bit about America >.>

however I don't understand, why is each state/county or whatever it is classified in like different ways? Are they in like Neighboring parishes?

Like how you said Mississippi and Louisiana and West Virginia. As if they are in a group.

Are certain states like governed in such a way, that when gay marriage or whatever is made legal, that it's made legal for the group?

I'm a teensy bit lost x.x, but hooray for Utah? :>

Sylph Wrote:What's a Utah? LOL I'm just kidding, I know alittle bit about America >.>

however I don't understand, why is each state/county or whatever it is classified in like different ways? Are they in like Neighboring parishes?

Like how you said Mississippi and Louisiana and West Virginia. As if they are in a group.

Are certain states like governed in such a way, that when gay marriage or whatever is made legal, that it's made legal for the group?

Yes, each state is governed separately. As long as they obey federal law, they can each make their own laws as they please. Sometimes voters get a say... at least that is the idea. It's not as perfect of a system as we are led to believe here. States don't exactly group together though. Neighboring states do follow similar patterns sometimes, but that's about it.

Sylph Wrote:What's a Utah? LOL I'm just kidding, I know alittle bit about America >.>

Gay marriage is legalized in individual states.

For example, in Washington gay marriage is legal, but in Texas gay marriage is not.

Gay marriage is usually passed through a public vote, passed by the state's council/legislature, or declared as the legal option by a court (which can be appealed a limited number of times).

Obviously, whenever gay marriage becomes popular with the people, gay marriage gets passed by the first two options. Predicting this, many states constitutionally ban gay marriage, which means it can never be legal ever.

This is where the supreme court comes in when people bring these ridiculous constitutional bans to court, and says, "these bans are illegal", and the courts legalize gay marriage... but only in that individual state. This is what happened in Utah.

City>State>Country.

Marriages are handled by the states, and cities in that state obviously recognize the marriage, but the country as a whole (other states) are unaffected by gay marriage in any individual state.

VileKyle Wrote:Yes, each state is governed separately. As long as they obey federal law, they can each make their own laws as they please. Sometimes voters get a say... at least that is the idea. It's not as perfect of a system as we are led to believe here. States don't exactly group together though. Neighboring states do follow similar patterns sometimes, but that's about it.

[COLOR="Green"]Oh I see, it's like branches then or sub-cultures within the main one. We tend to group up under a constituency, in which an area of a parish is split and is represented by one person, whose responsibility it is, is to voice for the people in that area, west and east, and so those two people would have to come together for the whole of the Parish then. This is the same for all 9 Parishes and then they take whatever bullshit to the Premier, who is basically our president and then he passes it that way.

But we also have voting as well, based on a form of democracy, but it's run through three parties. Sort of like Democrats and Republicans in America as I understand it. Those three parties are also comprised of members of parlament and of the representatives of an area's Constituency.
[/COLOR]

Woollyhats Wrote:Gay marriage is legalized in individual states.

For example, in Washington gay marriage is legal, but in Texas gay marriage is not.

Gay marriage is usually passed through a public vote, passed by the state's council/legislature, or declared as the legal option by a court (which can be appealed a limited number of times).

Obviously, whenever gay marriage becomes popular with the people, gay marriage gets passed by the first two options. Predicting this, many states constitutionally ban gay marriage, which means it can never be legal ever.

This is where the supreme court comes in when people bring these ridiculous constitutional bans to court, and says, "these bans are illegal", and the courts legalize gay marriage... but only in that individual state. This is what happened in Utah.

City>State>Country.

Marriages are handled by the states, and cities in that state obviously recognize the marriage, but the country as a whole (other states) are unaffected by gay marriage in any individual state.

[COLOR="blue"]OH :O

Like I kinda just explained in my reply to Kyle, we tend to do things in groups, which is why I was curious. Cause our overall islands are the same, but in specific parts that we call parishes and villages, there can be specific differences, such as one area can have certain benefits another area wouldn't have, for the people who live there.

So is similar to the whole City thing in America, however something like Gay marriage would have to be an island wide decision (not that it'd go over well here, it's been tried before xD).

Constituency>Parish>Island xD

So that is to say then, two neighboring cities/states would then have differing laws? That seems alittle odd, but then again, our ways can seem odd too lol.

Yay! I'm learning about the Americas :p[/COLOR]

Sylph Wrote:[COLOR="Green"]Oh I see, it's like branches then or sub-cultures within the main one. We tend to group up under a constituency, in which an area of a parish is split and is represented by one person, whose responsibility it is, is to voice for the people in that area, west and east, and so those two people would have to come together for the whole of the Parish then. This is the same for all 9 Parishes and then they take whatever bullshit to the Premier, who is basically our president and then he passes it that way.

Not quite, dear Sylph..

American States are exactly that...States, that is small (semi)-independent governments that joined in a Federation and answer to a Central Power in Washington...other than that their legislations are rather independent from each other..

Americans can explain it to you better than me of course

southbiochem Wrote:Not quite, dear Sylph..

American States are exactly that...States, that is small (semi)-independent governments that joined in a Federation and answer to a Central Power in Washington...other than that their legislations are rather independent from each other..

Americans can explain it to you better than me of course

Right, that's what I said... right?

A sub-division of sorts

Main Power [Insert America]
Littler Powers[Insert Everybody else]

Let me say it in terms you may under stand better; America is the Dick and it's states are it's balls.

They hang independent under America's glory, but operate kinda of their own volition.

Coffee

Sylph Wrote:Right, that's what I said... right?

A sub-division of sorts:

Similar, Sylph, but no, not a subdivison

US is not a larger entity divided into smaller parts

US is a bunch of smaller parts that joined to form a larger entity...

(and not that large either...not at first anyway)

southbiochem Wrote:Similar, Sylph, but no, not a subdivison

US is not a larger entity divided into smaller parts

US is a bunch of smaller parts that joined to form a larger entity...

(and not that large either...not at first anyway)

OMG Apples and Oranges Mr.Technicality! Either way it's a madda cunt fruit!

I don't know the right words, but I'm pretty sure I'm saying the same thing as you lol.

USA = Tree
States=Branches

The Tree is the central power you speak of and the branches are the "semi-independent" powers.

:crying-and-sorry-li Making me feel dumb Marzy! Msn-slapping

Sylph Wrote:OMG Apples and Oranges Mr.Technicality! Either way it's a madda cunt fruit!

I don't know the right words, but I'm pretty sure I'm saying the same thing as you lol.

USA = Tree
States=Branches

The Tree is the central power you speak of and the branches are the "semi-independent" powers.

:crying-and-sorry-li Making me feel dumb Marzy! Msn-slapping

Almost there, Sylph, almost there..branches cannot survive out of the tree, but states can go on living if the Federal Central Authority dissapears...

US and the Soviet Union are alike that way, the position of the Head of the the Soviet Union vanished, but Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, etc, etc did not dissapear along, they went on as independent governments..

same would happen if Washington were to vanish...

southbiochem Wrote:Almost there, Sylph, almost there..branches cannot survive out of the tree, but states can go on living if the Federal Central Authority dissapears...

US and the Soviet Union are alike that way, the position of the Head of the the Soviet Union vanished, but Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, etc, etc did not dissapear along, they went on as independent governments..

same would happen if Washington were to vanish...

This is it, I give up! America is too hard and this professor is whack! Lurking

I'm not speaking literally of whether or not States or governments or whatever the rassclaat else can survive an Atom bomb for the christ of the dear lord and her dreadlocks

I was talking about how they operate under the Main Country, State, Fucking Empire that is America and not necessarily as a literal sub-division, but lacking the word I apparently needed to convey myself properly, used that, because while I may type these words, I hardly ever say them, something we should have in common Sister Marie.

I feel like we've went in a complete circle, when I was just starting to understand what was going on x.x

:crying-and-sorry-li