Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetables
East Wrote:Yes...I have used slivered almonds and cashews many times....I am wondering now how to use the wasabi almonds and if I would lose the wasabi taste...or maybe I can use some wasabi sauce! (thinking out loud)

Oh yeah...I had brussel sprouts for lunch after I wrote this...but I had some salmon as well...

Add the wasabi almonds at the -end- of your food preparation to have them retain that flavor. The earlier they are added to a dish during preparation and cooking, the less they'll retain the flavoring.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Add the wasabi almonds at the -end- of your food preparation to have them retain that flavor. The earlier they are added to a dish during preparation and cooking, the less they'll retain the flavoring.

Good Idea Twist! I can see how that would work and I would prefer they retain their crunch and all of the wasabi flavor

ROAST dem veggies! Cut them up about equal size, toss with a little olive oil, spread on a baking sheet or in a 9x13 pan and roast at about 375 until done. If you like them al dente, take them out earlier. This goes for everything from green beans to carrots, to cauliflower.

You can cut cauliflower in slabs about 1 1/2 inch thick, brush with ye ole olive oil and grill or roast, too.

Peaches, grapefruit, plums, firm bananas, apples, etc. can go on the grill if you like. No reason watermelon can't if the grill is hot and oiled and the melon does not spend much time there.

if you don't have a steamer, one of those folding ones will work well. Steamed veggies cooked to just the point you like them are great. with a little playing around you can steam corn cobs, carrots and green beans all at the same time. The flavors don't mix and the color is fantastic. Steamed cabbage is wonderful.

You can also steam fish and shellfish, even chicken if you like. You might also try wrapping fish and veggies in lettuce to steam.

I love veggies but probably will never go vegan. Still, there is a lot to be said for the taste of vegetables when cooked well. Cooking to mush is not usually cooked well.

And don't forget seasonings. Penzey's mail order is good if you don't have a really good local spice store. They have wasabi powder! Also a chipotle powder that is really useful.
I bid NO Trump!

First thing that occured to me was grilled aparagus and aubergine.

A personal favourite of mine is grilled asparagus with a spicy chili bearnaise. Nothing else needed, but it could be improved upon with beef.. Sorry!

As for your aversion to beef because of a movie. There is the equivalent to free range chicken when it comes to beef. Unfortunately with Federal Guidelines opening up the meaning of 'free range' and 'organic' finding real free range chickens or cattle is going to be harder to do unless you live in a state that does a lot of farming and you can go and see which farms do what. Unfortunately California doesn't raise any food what so ever so I guess your S.O.L. There.... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I tend to just steam veg until softer but not mushy. I then use things called 'herbs' to give them flavor, bit of butter or olive oil when I'm getting all wild and crazy about my caloric intake. One can fast cook (steam) veg in a microwave, just put it in a plastic bag and poke a couple holes in the bag (To prevent explosion) with a couple tablespoons of water. Cook less than a minute for things like broccoli can cauliflower, a couple three minutes for carrot and other hard roots.

Grilling fruits is usually reserved for those which are like apples, pears, pineapples - Firm fruits that won't instantly turn to mush because of high water content. Stuff that isn't mostly water and readily explodes. An orange slice will explode if exposed to high heat. Pro-tip, don't microwave orange slices - well unless you like the smell of orange every time you run the microwave for a week. Go to slice the back of those slices if you plan on cooking them with high heat (or microwave) to let out the steam.

The real trick to good veg is the herbs you use on them. Too many people rely on things like cheese to flavor their veg or salt and pepper - there are a lot of other herbs out there which can do different things. Try a bit of cinnamon on turnips sometime. I know it doesn't sound right but the combination is quite nice.

You can also deep fat fry veg with or without breading. The trick is to have a hot oil and a good drainage system for when you remove the veg from the oil. Laying them on just a paper towel will turn them to mush, so a screen to drain them completely tends to work far better.

Don't be afraid to caramelize a bit of the veg you are cooking. A bit of carmalized bell pepper on a steamed bell pepper does interesting flavor things for the steamed pepper - or broccoli or cauliflower. For those who do not know what carmalize means, it means frying until the veg is soft and brown but not crispy brown. Most veg turns very sweet when fried this way.

Baked veg is also good. Think pizza toppings. Thinly sliced veg laid out on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and cooked a short time at high heat. Similar, but not quite the same flavor as grilled.

IF you are trying to get away from cheese, you might want to try a pizza without cheese but with veg instead. use a tomato sauce that has a bit more paste in it to where the veg sticks to the bread/crust.

Cuddly Wrote:First thing that occured to me was grilled aparagus and aubergine.

A personal favourite of mine is grilled asparagus with a spicy chili bearnaise. Nothing else needed, but it could be improved upon with beef.. Sorry!

Asparagus is my favorite..I eat it like candy...but the beef...(belches)....even the smell of it cooking is gross to me

Just adding to my post number 9, here's a photo of the shrimp, mango and lettuce dish:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Just adding to my post number 9, here's a photo of the shrimp, mango and lettuce dish:

That looks and sounds delicious...I will make that and find out for myself....any special tips?

Par boil cauliflower and broccoli florettes in salt water until [B]al dente[/B]. Transfer to a casserole, top with halved cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with dill, add fresh ground black pepper and bake in the oven. Finish off under the grill for a few minutes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

East Wrote:That looks and sounds delicious...I will make that and find out for myself....any special tips?

No, no special tips apart from the fact that the mango should be firm, not squishy. Just go ahead and enjoy. It is an incredibly simple and very quick dish to make.