Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video Phones.........WHY dont we have them???
Ok, Im not talking about phones you can take videos with, Im talking about video phones that show one person speaking to another.

When I was little, this was science fiction....something futuristic. A phone with video capability, where you can just stand there in front of the phone device and see who it is that you are speaking too, and vice versa.

Actually, these DID come out back in the 1980's, but for some reason, didnt catch on.

But now, with the introduction of "android" and "i" phones, which are nothing more than tiny computers, WHY dont these devices have video talk capabilities??? I would think that would be a basic feature on these new kinds of electronic phones.

What gives???

One of the first Video Phones on the market...
[Image: retrofuturistic-video-phone.jpg]

Newer version
[Image: 108530-motorola-ojo-personal-video-phone.jpg?thumb=y]

There are some desktop models, but Im really talking about all the handheld cell/android/iphone devices.

Im sure there around in some form? If not they will be soon, the technologys clearly there. I saw them on startrek 20 years ago!

There's Skype which allows video chat, but like you said it's a desktop/laptop/whatever program and I'm not aware of any mobile support it has - anyone feel free to correct me on this.

Now that you mention it I'm not aware of any video-chat programs or apps for mobile phones, and I've never heard anyone talk about it...after a quick google, it seems there are some mobile phone apps that allow this (one called ooVoo, one called fring) but you have to actively seek them out and download them (in the case of ooVoo you might have to even pay for it, I didn't see the word "free" or any specific price) - they're not built-in features for any phone as far as I know.

dryw Wrote:FaceTime and Skype works really well on iPad iPhone and iMac Smile

Well there you go, I stand corrected. :p

Skype is available Android and Windows

I have Skype on my phone, but I dont use it....mainly because I dont know what the hell it is or what it is there for.

dryw Wrote:My mother likes to do her hair before she FaceTimes' me and talks with her posh telephone voice! I talk to the dog when I'm away from home he gets really confused Smile I've even had a wrong number video call from an old lady in NY State she was convinced I was the guy she spoke to the day before in the end she just admired the dog and and asked about the british weather...

Haha, FaceTime brings some funny anecdotes :p Too cute.

I use Skype on my phone and can video chat with people

When the 3G network first started video calling was all the rage but somehow it all just died off.

I've never video called anyone on my phone before. I don't even know how to.

I have 4g makes video calling easier. I use it for family and friends who live far away.