Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viruses, Spyware & Malware
fjp999 Wrote:OK, first off, I dont know anything that I am talking about but from my reading (my nightly reading consist of computer mags which put me to sleep nicely )
I find a lot of computer mags don't seem to follow the facts instead they rely upon what they read of wikipedia or something.

fjp999 Wrote:But isnt the Apple OS based on Unix and Linux is a "Unix-like" OS, so they are based on the same thing right???
Linux and Mac are both based upon the Unix kernel, but from their on its split.

fjp999 Wrote:From what I read, Apple found someone had developed the mouse ($400 to manufacture) and was so excited by it that they re-wrote their OS to become the first GUI...
Can't say I know about that one...

fjp999 Wrote:Yes, I was referring to all those as being the first company to bring the price down and sell them in computers for consumers... just as with the mouse costing $400 to manufacture Apple brought it down to $25 for consumer use... Apple may be like the Japanese who dont invent anything but are able to bring things to the consumer at a good price. It looks like the Army & NASA is one of largest inventors of new products for us in the field... been reading about new battery technology the army is using now and very exciting... can be painted on the computer.
Good price, they are the most expensive computers on the market and are well know for it, people just like the Mac OS
Have you compared the Mac computers with PC computers, massive difference!

fjp999 Wrote:I guess one might say that the first two are opinions and the third a truth...

Did Apple become Un-Nice when Microsoft added a large cash infusion which most believe gave Apple consumer confidence that Microsoft was in support of Apple OS...

Apple - they are now out to dominate the market, its like all the ranting around here do you want tesco to be the only super market, if it was their would be no competition so their prices can just go up and up and up.
Microsoft - I really dont need to go into their famous lawsuits even from day 1 do i?
They have been out to dominate the PC market from day 1, the key to their success was a business driven government that came in they saw the advantages ($$$$$$$$) of microsoft being able to build a monopoly.
You cannot win a case Vs Microsoft, just because they have so much money they always win allowing them to dominate the market, is that not unfair?
Apple are going down the same path.

fjp999 Wrote:sooooo when a company successful, has a range of good products and knows how to market them correctly... = EVIL???

No I'm calling a company that uses their money as a unfair advantage, they are rewening small businesses!

fjp999 Wrote:Some even call MS a monopoly with government support... but B.Gates does do a LOT of great charity work.

I know he does, anyone with that amount of money would do charity work, I think he should be more charitable towards small businesses instead of buying them out or closing them down Roflmao.

fjp999 Wrote:Not being really genus with computers and add ons I just want the things I need to do to work without a struggle and I do that with both my systems but find that it is so much easier with macs as things are much more integrated it seems...

I agree, its the way Apple work, Windows take a different approach in trying to me more universal which is why it is so buggy.

Card Shark, a question.

I've used Hyper OS for years and have an unused "computer" on my computer. I was saving it to try out Vista, but never bothered when it was apparent there were so many problems. After this discussion I may be interested in giving Linux a go. What do I need and where do I go to get what I need to install from scratch? I have 27gB on the drive. I assume that will be enough for the operating system and a few apps?

More than enough

Can get free CD's of Ubuntu here
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Or Kubuntu my personal favorite
https://shipit.kubuntu.org/

Takes like a month for the CD's to come through but you can also download a image and burn it to a CD :biggrin:.

Their are absoultely thousands of Linux distrobutions, some others I liked was
PCLinuxOS
and
Fedora Project

I've tried out a lot of them, and I preach Kubuntu Roflmao.

CardShark Wrote:More than enough

Can get free CD's of Ubuntu here
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Or Kubuntu my personal favorite
https://shipit.kubuntu.org/

Takes like a month for the CD's to come through but you can also download a image and burn it to a CD :biggrin:.

Their are absoultely thousands of Linux distrobutions, some others I liked was
PCLinuxOS
and
Fedora Project

I've tried out a lot of them, and I preach Kubuntu Roflmao.

Cheers Remybussi