Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well,are we?
Down here we have the cheapest electricity in the world (28 cents per kWh),a fact which the State reminds us EVERYTIME suggestions that living in SA is expensive surface.For example a loaf of bread costs ?0.47,I pay ?47.36 monthly for satelite TV,?316.45 for my monthly rent,my Corolla was ?12 658,my PS2 ?126.58 and a Happy Meal costs ?1.79.How do these rates compare to your country?Are we being cheated? :confused:

What currency symbol did you use in that post ... just coming up as a ?

bread in UK varies quite a bit depending on brand / type etc... mostly between 80p and £1.10

As for everything else... not so sure.

Didn't see that.It's the Euro.

Hmmm ... well, comparatively I know that we ought to be higher, as the cost of living in Jersey is RATHER expensive, but let's see here ...

a load of Bread (which is, sadly, the only thing I can confirm at the moment) = £1.35 on average (which is EUR 1,94).

The other items on your list I can't really help with - I don't really watch telly, my car is STUPIDLY expensive (costs me over a grand a month), and I've not eaten in McDonalds in a while and, when I do, it's a Super-Sized Big Mac Meal with a Banana Milkshake for me thanks :biggrin:.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

London as far as i know is one of the 2 most expensive cities in the world so there is no point to compare it to anywhere else. I pay around £400 pcm rent for a room in a house share of 5 which is a good price i think . I spend about £150 per month for food, around £80 traveling with the tube, i dont have cable tv (free view box costs around £40 one off payment and get more channels),internet is £10 p/m shares btw us 4 using it, i dont own a car, hmmm what else... the rest i ll invest or go to the bank account for crazy ideas like buying a flat in a few years.
Well i can say that compared to other people i know here i dont spend too much unless i go out a lot which i dont , i rather stay in to write, or work on some mad projects i usually take on. However i have paid around £120 a month to go to the theater/dinner a couple of times.
Imo one needs at least £1,200 p/m to live comfortably in London although when i was broke i ve done it for less than the half of this.

Yikes!spotysocks,London's expensive hey?My aunt migrated to the UK and worked in Essex (don't know where it is but I love the name) as a social worker.Anyways we thought she was kidding when she said that she had to work two jobs to support herself!We couldn't really help her since one pound = twelve rands (my currency).shadow you live in a place called the "Channel Islands" *imagines yatchs docking,Platinum credit cards,GUCCI stores* so granted living up there must be costly!I don't understand why y'all have to fork out such large amounts though.Oh well *boastfully whistles national anthem*

Yup, just to give you a bit of a history and geographical lesson, the Channel Islands are a small cluster of islands located in the English Channel (inbetween England and France).

I live on Jersey - the largest of the Channel Islands, which has a population of just over 100,000 at the moment ...

The island is self-governing, but is still considered by many to be a UK-dependent territory, meaning it often takes its lead from the UK on several important issues; we don't have a national guard per se - it is the UK that provide for us in times of war, etc., etc.

Jersey is known around the world for its status as what's called an "offshore finance centre" - a reputation the island is keen to promote as we have a comparatively very low taxation rate here - income tax is a mere 20% compared with most other jurisdictions.

We're also famous for our cows, which produce (apparently) the safest milk to drink on the planet, which is nice.

It is, however, quite an expensive place to live, and yeah - it is kinda upmarket in many places - it's tough for young people to get by, that's for sure ...

... however, starting salaries tend to be higher than on the mainland ... so, for example, a junior office worker would probably be starting on around £20,000 p/a (Twenty Thousand Pounds per Annum), and working their way up from there, so really-speaking, it's all relative ...

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!