Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Causes Your Hair and Eyes to Change Color?
I just wanted to know because I was going through an old photo album and in it I had really light blonde hair and blue eyes while I now have hazel eyes and dirty blonde hair.

Color me curious.

Hair, eye and skin color is determined by the amount of Melanin, a pigment derived from the aminoacid Tyrosine (in the eye its also important the Rayleigh Scattering phenomenon, as to how the eye color is perceived)

the more Melanin your body synthesizes, the darker everything is..

Melanin is a pigment that absorbs radiation, specially UV, very well, so it's a protective mechanism to radiation and it's potential to damage the DNA macromolecule.....hence, people from latitudes with high exposure to sunlight and specially UV radiation will have darker eyes, skin and hair...

for blondes, it may happen that their hair grows darker overtime, mainly due to the same process of producing melanin, and this will be the result of continuous exposure to doses of radiation, to which the body will acclimate by producing this protective pigment..

Children tend to be lighter, and as their genetics kick in and adulthood kicks in they take on the coloring of their parents.

UV and Vitamin D in your diet will have the largest impact on your final coloring. The reason why white people came into being was a diet low in Vit D and lack of Vit D from solar radiation. The high Grain diet of the Northern Europeans lead to less pigment production, thus favoring the blue eyes/blond hair of childhood.

Further north were the natives ate large amounts of meat, keeping their Vit D up they remained dark of skin. Further south with exposure to sunlight, the Vit D remained u thus the darker skin.

Most races will have a large number of children born with lighter hair and lighter eyes - around 3-7 they take on better pigmentation, grow darker of skin, hair and eye color.

Somebody bitch slap you lately? That can do it.
Rofl Rofl

I was born looking like a Mexican baby...olive skin, jet black hair, and very dark brown eyes.
Now I have light brown hair, pale skin, and army green eyes.

Damn you South, I was just about to post! Laugh1 Anyway I couldn't have said it any better hehe.

southbiochem Wrote:Hair, eye and skin color is determined by the amount of Melanin, a pigment derived from the aminoacid Tyrosine (in the eye its also important the Rayleigh Scattering phenomenon, as to how the eye color is perceived)

the more Melanin your body synthesizes, the darker everything is..

Melanin is a pigment that absorbs radiation, specially UV, very well, so it's a protective mechanism to radiation and it's potential to damage the DNA macromolecule.....hence, people from latitudes with high exposure to sunlight and specially UV radiation will have darker eyes, skin and hair...

for blondes, it may happen that their hair grows darker overtime, mainly due to the same process of producing melanin, and this will be the result of continuous exposure to doses of radiation, to which the body will acclimate by producing this protective pigment..

Thank you for this. Now I feel a little more enlightened on the matter.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Children tend to be lighter, and as their genetics kick in and adulthood kicks in they take on the coloring of their parents.

UV and Vitamin D in your diet will have the largest impact on your final coloring. The reason why white people came into being was a diet low in Vit D and lack of Vit D from solar radiation. The high Grain diet of the Northern Europeans lead to less pigment production, thus favoring the blue eyes/blond hair of childhood.

Further north were the natives ate large amounts of meat, keeping their Vit D up they remained dark of skin. Further south with exposure to sunlight, the Vit D remained u thus the darker skin.

Most races will have a large number of children born with lighter hair and lighter eyes - around 3-7 they take on better pigmentation, grow darker of skin, hair and eye color.

And a thanks to you to for a little bit of human history and science I didn't know.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Somebody bitch slap you lately? That can do it.
Rofl Rofl

I was born looking like a Mexican baby...olive skin, jet black hair, and very dark brown eyes.
Now I have light brown hair, pale skin, and army green eyes.

That's some supernatural stuff right there. A bitch slap that can change hair and eye color. Maybe I need more bitch slaps till I get it the way I want. Biglaugh

southbiochem Wrote:for blondes, it may happen that their hair grows darker overtime, mainly due to the same process of producing melanin, and this will be the result of continuous exposure to doses of radiation, to which the body will acclimate by producing this protective pigment..

You actually just answered a question I've had all my life. I was born with blond hair to such an extreme as to be called "white" by my parents, and it's gotten a shade or so darker every year. I guess I know why now Smile.

It could be as simple as environment. Sometimes the tone of my hair changes depending on the season, like how much sunlight hits it. My eyes are complicated, they're a weird mix of blue, green and gray, hazel I guess you could say. They appear to change depending on my environment, from whether or it's sunny or over-cast to what I'm wearing, or even what room I'm in.

Also, people's hair color is known to change as they get older. I have several friends who have brown hair now, but they had blonde hair as children. Eye color though... as far as I know that remains consistent throughout your life. Maybe what you saw in the photo was just a trick of the light? In certain photos, my eyes appear to be vividly blue when they really aren't like that in real life.

I still have my red hair, but it used to be a brighter color when I was a child. Now it has toned down and doesn't look so much like highlighter orange. My eyes also got some green in them as I got older, they used to just be light brown.