Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Christians say to Atheists
Spades Wrote:Close, but no.

The Christianization of Pagan holidays began about the fourth century A.D. when the Roman Emperor Constantine, became (or feigned becoming) a Christian. In order to consolidate his rule, he incorporated the Pagan holidays and festivals into the church ritual - attracting the Pagans, but he gave the holidays and festivals new "Christian" names and identities - thus appeasing the Christians.

So he did it not to promote Christianity, but rather to promote his own political career.

lol I think I actually just misquoted my friend, I do remember him telling me about constantine. I know in Rome the pagan religion had always been exploited as a political tool. Apparently even in earlier Roman times most intellectuals and officials were actually atheists and didn't believe in the pagan gods. Augustus and Julius Caesar I know used it to advance their political careers.

*emergency Politically Correct postscript: that's not to say the pagan religion of Rome or modern ones are of any less credit! ^^;*

Lilitu Wrote:lol I think I actually just misquoted my friend, I do remember him telling me about constantine. I know in Rome the pagan religion had always been exploited as a political tool. Apparently even in earlier Roman times most intellectuals and officials were actually atheists and didn't believe in the pagan gods. Augustus and Julius Caesar I know used it to advance their political careers.

Good to see then that modern day politicians are keeping the tradition alive :p

Lilitu Wrote:*emergency Politically Correct postscript: that's not to say the pagan religion of Rome or modern ones are of any less credit! ^^;*

But the Christian religion is?

Spades Wrote:Good to see then that modern day politicians are keeping the tradition alive :p

But the Christian religion is?

EMERGENCY EMERGENCY POLITICALLY CORRECT POST-POST-SCRIPT: No anti-christian or anti-anything sentiment was intended in either of my previous posts.
(-.-Wink crisis averted.

wintermoon Wrote:UGH! It is something of a spectacle whenever they decide to showcase their stupidity isn't it? Even up here in good old liberal Oregon you can't escape it. A few examples of dumb things Christians have said to me over the years....

"Why do you read those evil books?"
In reference to me reading a Stephen King novel in high-school. Never mind the fact that King himself is a Methodist, they seem to think that because he writes in the realms of ghosts and goblins, he's the Devil's cabana boy.

"Have you allowed Jesus to enter your life and save you from an eternity of hellfire?" This is often hurled my way by street preachers when I walk past them. Its always fun to politely listen to their dog and pony show, then ask them if I could have a moment of their time to ask them if they have allowed logic, fact and reason into their minds. The blank looks of incomprehension I get afterwards is worth it all.

"Why do you choose to be an atheist? Don't you know you're damming yourself to Hell?" This one ALWAYS pops up when they discover I have no religious beliefs. Again, I like to fuck with them by saying things like "I'm an atheist for the same reasons you are a Christian; I have faith in my beliefs, and faith is all that matters isn't it?" They'll come back and try to argue their logic against mine, but I stay stubborn and unyielding in my retorts of "its all about faith" Never once have they picked up on the fact I'm making fun of their own stubbornness to accept other forms of understanding.

*laughs* I could go on all day with these. Its fun. Rock on fellow atheists! Rock on pagans! You guys are the only religious group I admire right about now Confusedmile:

You forgot one:

Wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution, I mean if you are mistaken about there not being a God... well you know what happens.....

[Image: FireAnimation_fishish.gif]

It would seem I have inserted my foot into my mouth and not thought before speaking. I'm tending to do that a lot lately it seems aren't I?

If my comments offended anyone, I apologize.

Oh, there are a tone of them, but an atheist or pagan can flip the coin and, do it to them too.

I might be wrong, but if I'm right and you didn't drink caffeine, didn't eat meat, never got drunk, never went dancing, etc... just because your religion said not to, who's going to be the disappointed one in the end?

And of course my snarky come backs.

When told I'm going to Hell: Yep, I already have my job reserved, I hear it pays really well too.

When pushed to repent: Okay, I'm sorry you aren't enjoying life because your religion says you can't.

When told to accept Jesus: I do accept Him, he's perfectly real, I just don't think he's any more or less a God than Buddha, Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Ellen G. White or a few dozen others.

Yes that's me being snarky and not exactly where I put Christian deities, but it does get some odd looks out of the hardcore fundies that want to preach at me.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You forgot one:

Wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution, I mean if you are mistaken about there not being a God... well you know what happens.....

No kidding! I *hate* that one! But you know, I just say that hey, I live my life as a good person, and if their god is so loving and forgiving and "knows the hearts of man," then I'm sure I'll be fine.

wintermoon Wrote:It would seem I have inserted my foot into my mouth and not thought before speaking. I'm tending to do that a lot lately it seems aren't I?

If my comments offended anyone, I apologize.

I didn't get that at all. It's okay. Smile

I love Jesus!

Sometimes twice a night.

Counselor Wrote:I love Jesus!

Sometimes twice a night.

Like hooking up with Latino men do you? :tongue::biggrin: (sorry couldn't resist that one.)