Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What To Call You?
In this too casual age I'm really flattened by being called "Dude". I'm 70 years old, well beyond the "Dude" category. Also, I cannot get over the sneaky feeling that whoever calls me "Dude" cannot remember my name.

And age plays another hand. I would be very uncomfortable calling another man my "boyfriend". He's not a "boy" and neither am I. Nor is he my "signficant other", my partner, my bff, my special person, my boy......you see my problem. I have a street name, "Swiss" but I can't call my new male friend by my name. He has a name and that's what I call him. However, in referring to us, I'm at a loss.

Suggestions??

"He's my better half"

"He's my main man"
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

"Dude" and "Hey man" has effectively replaced "Sir" in this new age of no manners, no etiquette, and no brains.

As for your companion. How about companion?

Or if you want to get cheesy....

Honey
Lovebug
Sweetums
Sugarlips
Hotlips
Muffin man
Honey pie
Slab o meat
Sugar lumpkins
Rofl

You're not "dude"..you're dude senior!...that's a rank!...Biglaugh

no it is not, but maybe you can refer to him a "my man" when introducing him to people.

"My significant other" sounds adeqcuate too. But if youthink it doesn't fit ...it usually work with "my man"

I am Swiss and this is "He who polishes the Family Jewels".

Too formal?

Um Butt buddy?

slave?

"It"?

I guess it boils down to what you consider him to be in your heart.

For instance many are the gay couples who, even before gay marriage, called their other 'Husband'.... Because you see, while lacking legal and social recognition, that is exactly the way they viewed their mate.

Dude is something awkward to call an elder... last names and sir usually work well unless otherwise asked. Not sure where that was going...

More directed to the last bit of your post:

Do you need a title? Who is he to you?

On this site I call my 'boyfriend' boyfriend mostly for the sake of 'anonymity'. As someone that is tragically inept with pet names, the title my boyfriend has is very boringly his name.

Unless you're telling a third party about your relationship you don't need any titles or names...Err, if you hate titles in general you could go with something literal like cohabitant, I don't really know. Never been an issue for me, sorry.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I am Swiss and this is "He who polishes the Family Jewels".

Too formal?

Um Butt buddy?

slave?

"It"?

I guess it boils down to what you consider him to be in your heart.

For instance many are the gay couples who, even before gay marriage, called their other 'Husband'.... Because you see, while lacking legal and social recognition, that is exactly the way they viewed their mate.

Just now there's a man possibly coming into my life. I believe what we should call each other is simply, "My Own."

Oh I see the possessive type. Perhaps 'Mine!' works best? Wink

Perhaps you should ask him... Or is he shy about talking about stuff?

Never know, he might be laying awake at night trying to figure out where 'us' is and what would be the proper title for this 'us'...

What's wrong with "My Partner"?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:What's wrong with "My Partner"?

i hate the word "partner"
when people refer to my wife as my "partner" , i'm like ... okay we're married. we're not starting a business together -__-

also it's an ugly word , in my opinion