Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What book are you reading now?
Does a textbook count? It's taken away from my leisurely reading.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:Does a textbook count? It's taken away from my leisurely reading.

What textbook?

himself Wrote:What textbook?

One on probability. Not that big but still

Confuzzled4 Wrote:One on probability. Not that big but still
I asked because I knew you are a physics graduate. I will soon have a degree in physics.

I haven't encountered much probability theory / statistics at university. It's drip fed to us when we need it, e.g., in information theory, statistical mechanics. When I get time, I plan on reading Cambridge University lecture notes on probability. I like lecture notes because someone's done the hard part for you. Someone else has read the main textbooks and taken just the relevant parts, out. Then, if you want to know more, you can look at the textbook. The thing I dislike about actual, physical textbooks is that you can't press ctrl-F to find what you want.

The prisoner of Tehran

last month I read Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children

Still reading this one:

[Image: 61cpld2DlbL.jpg]

I'm about half-way through, and it's not half-bad. He's a good writer. But although he makes sense with a lot of things, his experience is not really something I can relate to much. I had it different.

This is a book and experience that would appeal to [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION].
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Patti Smith, m train

I am Pilgrm by Terry Hayes
An eye for an eye

En Finir Avec Eddy Bellegueule by Edouard Louis.

A radio show actually brought his name up and he was explaining being gay in a very working class background in the north of France and this is very bleak reading indeed, but I think it'll end in something better. A sort of rebirth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pdjm8 Front Row on BBC Radio Four, has this interview.
[Image: 41YJzm0ckKL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg]

I believe André Téchiné's recent (and excellent) film Quand On A 17 Ans (Being Seventeen) is partly based on this book.
[Image: Scan%20DVD-Cover%20Front.jpg] [Image: quand%2Bon%2Ba%2B2.jpg]