Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do?
I am just curious what people here do for work?

My first job was a cook in a pizza restaurant when I was in high school followed by three years in the US army and then about three years in the grocery business in various managerial jobs then followed by almost two years working at a die casting plant then another 7 years in the grocery business then almost two years working for a medical supply company where I drove like 64,000 miles in that time period.

Then I got fired from that job and started seasonal work and lived and worked at the following :

Custer State Park in South Dakota as housing manager - Summer 2010
Stratton mountain Ski Resort in Vermont working in the rental shop - winter 2010-11
Pahaska Teepee in Wyoming two miles east entrance of Yellowstone National Park - summer 2011
Deer Valley Ski Resort in Utah - winter 2011-12
Brief job outside Yosemite National Park for two months - Summer 2012 (California)
Telluride Ski Resort in Colorado as a Lift Operator - winter 2012-13
Grand Teton Lodge Company as a deck hand - summer 2013 for two months (Wyoming)
Mt Rainier National Park as a retail clerk - summer 2013 until government shutdown (Washington)
Copper Mountain Ski Resort as a Lift Operator - winter 2013-14 (Colorado)
Grand Canyon North Rim as a employee shuttle driver - summer 2014 (Arizona)
Copper Mountain Ski Resort as Lift Operator currently for winter 2014-15 (Colorado)

Since doing seasonal work I have felt so alive and free and my experiences have been amazing
I am not asking everyone to list every place you have worked, just list what you want.

Hi, Jason. Good thread idea.

I began my work life as a 16-year-old, working in a retail department store as a clerk.

In the 37 years that followed, I worked in a post office, in an audio-visual lab, in a restaurant, in a cafeteria, and in a paper mill.

I worked in a forestry crew, made rubber boots in a factory, worked in assembly in a missile factory, and taught high school English.

Once, I worked for a funeral home in a summer job.

I've been an inventory counter in a factory, a cashier, and a cost accountant.

I currently work as a program manager for an aerospace company. My program produces a computer box component for a very large aircraft used to haul cargo all over the world for various air forces.

I've only held 2 jobs my entire life.

LOL

From 1987 to 1997 I worked in a supermarket as a 'jack of all trades'. I collected carts, cashiered, ran customer service counter, worked night crew (occasionally), stocked shelves, cleaned, you name it.

I left there in 1997, and in 2 weeks was hired at my current job at the bank. Got hired as a teller, moved up to customer service manager (head teller) and then to my current position, Relationship Assistant.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I'm currently a CEO of an umbrella of companies offering translation services, online language school and advanced IT training. I am also a columnist for an online psychology periodic and I perform some social behavioral research for different Canadian and US universities and college and some market research firms. I am stepping down from my CEO position next year and will be running as president the Language school only while preparing my Social Science doctorate.

I am currently working as a warehouse operative in a chilled enviroment * shivers *.

I have also worked as a factory operative a retail assistant and a baker.

First job, age 15 working in tobacco fields... Fun fun fun not to mention dirty and hard ass work. The job paid $5.00 an hour and back then that was considered "good pay". Minimum wage was $3.35 an hour... A buck went quite the distance in those days.

Lets see, I have done hotel desk clerk, retail sales (JC Penny, 7-11 and Save-on/Osco Drugs, carpentry, dry-waller, roofer, painter, gardener <--- Those worked up to general contractor for a spell.

Between bouts of manual labor I did caregiver, hotel maid, house maid, I worked a full day once as a waiter thankfully that 'customer' "asked" for a glass of water - Lord only knows what would have happened if she has "asked" for a steak knife..... Actually that job lasted almost two weeks... I'm not skilled in dealing with customer complaints. Wink

I taught english as a second language for a spell (under the table), I did the hospice care giving/visitor thing, worked as an 'attendant' at a homeless shelter... and a few other charitable type things which were not paid, from passing out condoms, to ministering to the homeless teens on Polk Street, did habitat for humanity a couple three times, planted thousands upon thousands of trees over several summers.... just a few.

Currently I am a house-sitter/gardener/property caretaker and domestic irrigation engineer - I use hoses and sprinklers to water this god forsaken corner of hell - I mean Mirkwood...

Next job - house wife.... :tongue: Me, TV, bon-bons - fuck this work crap - I'm tired.

I've done quite a few things over the years...
Dishwasher
Lanscraper
Conductor (railroad)
Waiter
Window Washer
Marine
High School History Teacher
and Lineman, my current and final job.

While I'm currently between standard, weekly paychecks like a "normal" person, I am one of the founders of a new gaming company (rpgs, board games, etc.)

Also, former:
cook, janitor and security supervisor.

First job was a docent in a museum.
Worked two summers in a department store and two summers in construction in high school/college
Worked part time during college at an insurance office
Since age 19 have worked for a large telecom in various capacities, currently doing project management for in-building cellular systems. I helped bring service into MetLife stadium for the super bowl, in Yankee Stadium, MSG, in the NYC subway, and at all three NYC airports.
Also have volunteered doing LGBT advocacy work in the church since 2002 or so.

I started working pretty early. was 12 or 13 when I had my first job. Worked mostly into grocery stores until college. Currently a senior tech for a wireless ISP and a YouTuber. Hoping to transition to working for myself as I'm really passionate about being a content creator.