Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of this quote?
I've read an interesting quote that came up at the end of a movie that I watched half a year ago. The quote said,
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
What do you guys think of this quote?

A little simplistic but a good quote.

The quote instantly made me think of this scene from Patlbor 2, one of the greatest monologues I’ve ever written…for realz

I think that in a zen kinda way and only when referring to one's inner peace then it is an excellent quote BUT Saddam Hussein was a great example of successfully keeping peace with the use of fear and force.

The Devil's Dictionary defines peace as a period of cheating in between periods of fighting.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I dont really know about that. Humans are animals, alot of people are born with or develope desires for power. as long as people are people, there wont ever be a lasting peace. understanding makes things better, but I dont think it would be enough, like all things, there needs to be a balance. Fear is important. Most people get angry and say to themselves its not worth it, and walk away. Some cant handle it and rage and fight, fewer still are only kept from killing the person who upset them by the law. without fear of the law the world would be a much worse place...

Humans cant live with peace, all the technology around you was invented for war or in war or beacause of war, from the wheel to super glue..

TimmyThink Wrote:A little simplistic but a good quote.

The quote instantly made me think of this scene from Patlbor 2, one of the greatest monologues I’ve ever written…for realz

you wrote that?! Thats sooo cool.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

I'm afraid thanks to my psych background I'm a cynic when it comes to people. I believe we're pretty much animals and that socialization is the key to training us to not do things that will hurt us or those around us. So in short, I disagree. Force is frequently necessary to maintain peace. Look at the how the rule of law works. It's based on the principle that if we don't all follow the rules then bad things will happen. In other words, a threat of force is what maintains order.

Ceruleaan Wrote:you wrote that?! Thats sooo cool.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

I'm afraid thanks to my psych background I'm a cynic when it comes to people. I believe we're pretty much animals and that socialization is the key to training us to not do things that will hurt us or those around us. So in short, I disagree. Force is frequently necessary to maintain peace. Look at the how the rule of law works. It's based on the principle that if we don't all follow the rules then bad things will happen. In other words, a threat of force is what maintains order.

Kazunori Ito is credited as the Patlabor 2 screenwriter

I agree with your thoughts on maintaining ordered as well, take Somalia for example. Somalia has functioning government or functioning police force or functioning anything or that matter and pretty much degenerated to a crazy lawless zone. I mean they have pirates for christ sake honest to goodness pirates...WTF.

... but it's always the others who cause the problems.

Waylon777 Wrote:I've read an interesting quote that came up at the end of a movie that I watched half a year ago. The quote said,
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
What do you guys think of this quote?

This is the only way that "true" peace can be kept. Peace by force is an explosion waiting to happen as it is not true peace to begin with and it will be only a matter of time before rebellion occurs. History clearly demonstrates this.

BTW, Marshlander, I can't help but ask a question concerning your avatar. It looks like you are putting drops in your eyes. If you see this post, would please be so kind as to explain? Sorry for being so nosey.