Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the next generation heading?
If it is a language then AW doesn't speak a version of it, if it isn't then its just another, if rather impenetrable, version of mine.

Regarding your heritage, I think all depends how you regard yourself. By blood I am half Scots but I consider myself to be 100% English. In any case don't dis God's own county!
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Haha, i'm not really sure how best to express it, but personally i DO see enough diffrences to separate the two, and i do separate the two. This is why people say i don't sound Scottish till i get my Scots on, then it all comes out Wink I flatter myself i speak English rather well...

As for nationality i personally see myself as British, but that's another story alotgether...

sox-and-the-city Wrote:... Also Marshy, going back to your comment about profundity of experience, do you not feel that music is an expression of the soul, and as such, could be interpreted as a religious experience?? Further to that point, i'm gong to gesture to the veritable mountain of religious musical works. I find that they have a power which largely goes beyond the means of secular music. I'll not lie in saying that the power and passion of gospel music had a lot to do with me first wondering whether maybe there was something to this whole "God thing" after all.

I wrote a huge amount more, but then my laptop decided to blue screen of death me and i can't face writing it all out again, so there will be another post when i'm in a more productive frame of mind...
Quick reply since I'm just off to make beautiful music ... yes Wink

I think I've mentioned this in other threads a few times. I wouldn't call it a religious experience, since I see that is a term rather specially reserved, but I see it as a tonic to the spiritual needs within me ... Professor Keith Swanwick called these expressions "aesthetic experience".

Adding language to music can reinforce both since they appeal to different response centres of the brain. I don't think sacred music necessarily has anything over secular music in that regard. There is plenty of music of non-religious origin that has moved me far more than most sacred music. If the music is well written and pulls the right strings the experience can be profoundly moving. Of course, there are tricks that composers can use to make this happen. The rest is, of course, up to the other partners in the experience, the performers and the listeners.

Oh so now you get an idea of why I get such a thrill from listening to schmaltzy Strauss music... hehehe.