Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go?
So I just graduated Michigan Tech with an Ecology degree and am now open to world to do as I please. It's a bit nerve-wracking at the moment, and yet very free-feeling. I've been thinking a lot about where to go and what to do next. My plans originally were rather meager, however after a serious chat with my parents the other day I discovered that I apparently have a nice enough quantity of money remaining from my student loans to use over the coming months. This prospect opens up really almost any possibility, I could go anywhere in the country (or even a few places outside... though I think I'll save that for later) if I wanted and get a nice start, so I'm a bit over-whelmed.

I have family in a number of places and friends all over, however, recently I met up with one of my good friends from Junior High and since and he was certain to mention that I was welcome to crash at his place at any time. He lives in Minneapolis... should I go? A lot of me is thinking that this is my best option. Minnesota has great natural resources and so the likelihood of jobs in my field are good, also it'll be the largest town I've ever lived in, opening up tons of possibilities in regards to meeting more people and having more available. Furthermore my friend attended a music school there, meaning they have a pretty great music scene (which I would love). I also understand it's kind of an artsy or craftsy town which appeals to me as well.

And so I did a quick search on the internet about Minneapolis and gay.... well apparently there's a huge 'gay scene' claiming a lot of history for gay rights in the Midwest. That sounds really cool, because I wouldn't even have to remotely hide myself and because there'd probably be a lot of guys available there. But, I'm still kind of resigned about going to a town with such a large 'gay scene' because I don't really like the idea of clubs, I'm not a big fan of flambouyance and I'm just really looking for another down to earth guy like myself.... is it ridiculous for me to think this way, or what? Is there any logic behind my thinking that anyone else can see? I don't know, what do you guys think I should do.

P.S. I'm also afraid of running into a huge Indie-scene (sorry to use regional subculture terms for those who aren't familiar with them) as far as people, fashion and music. That kinda bugs me, I don't care much for the music, REALLY don't care for the fashion, although the people tend to be nice (I almost want to say sometimes they seem superficial, but as I think that I realize how presumptuous I am being right now...). I'm more of a hippy person, chill, like folk music and rock and roll, not into raving.... I dunno, now I'm just being silly. Confusedmile:

Thanks for listening, and for comments *ellipses*

Go to Minneapolis! I love that city!

you will see a lot of snow in Minnesota, but that's all i can say with certainty.
...everyone i met from there was cool.

Unfortunately you would have the Vikings as a football team Sad Haha.

You said: "I could go anywhere in the country (or even a few places outside... though I think I'll save that for later)"

Put off until tomorrow that which you can do today. Procrastinators 2:12

You are young (22) and you are healthy (I assume) you have the energy, the time and the money to visit exotic places outside of the nation. You are single which means you are not having to compromise travel plans to meet the needs of your partner.

In my youth I had the opportunity to travel through Europe hitting all the well known whistle stops and many off the tourist map, I made the mistake of putting it off until tomorrow. Instead I took 'missionary work' to Las Vegas, Nevada (USA) - when I could have been doing 'missionary work' in strange and exotic places like Geneva (Switzerland), Toulouse (France) and the like. I decided to stick close to home (the USA) for 'work' related stuff and save these exotic wild places for later when I would be on vacation.

Vacation never came... well least not vacation and the finances at the same time. While I had planed on doing some the whistle stops later as my then planned career would obligate me, my career plans changed.

With sprung disks in my spine, a shattered knee and several other 'structural' issues, my ability to go and travel and tour and hike thousands of kilometers through old, ancient places no longer exists.

Life has a habit of changing our life plans.

Now is the time you should go and visit those exotic places - you can enjoy them now, you have the time, the youth, the health and the funding. You are even at the point where doing youth hostels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel is a viable option so you can extend what funding you have - a lot.

And be in the position to meet lots of young people from many places around the world.

Enjoy your youth while you have it... Trust me those 20's fly by in retrospect and once you hit 40 its all down hill from there. sure you may look young when your 40, but being up to the long nights, all night parties and all of that youthful stuff starts slipping away in your 30's. The day you hit 40 suddenly you will require reading glasses, even if you are fortunate to not get hit by a car (or some other various life changing event) your body will groan and moan and creak and refuse to do a lot that its willing to do for you in your 20's.

I say go - travel, see the world, get a few experiences now while you can enjoy them 110%, then see how you feel about Minneapolis.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You said: "I could go anywhere in the country (or even a few places outside... though I think I'll save that for later)"

Put off until tomorrow that which you can do today. Procrastinators 2:12

You are young (22) and you are healthy (I assume) you have the energy, the time and the money to visit exotic places outside of the nation. You are single which means you are not having to compromise travel plans to meet the needs of your partner.

In my youth I had the opportunity to travel through Europe hitting all the well known whistle stops and many off the tourist map, I made the mistake of putting it off until tomorrow. Instead I took 'missionary work' to Las Vegas, Nevada (USA) - when I could have been doing 'missionary work' in strange and exotic places like Geneva (Switzerland), Toulouse (France) and the like. I decided to stick close to home (the USA) for 'work' related stuff and save these exotic wild places for later when I would be on vacation.

Vacation never came... well least not vacation and the finances at the same time. While I had planed on doing some the whistle stops later as my then planned career would obligate me, my career plans changed.

With sprung disks in my spine, a shattered knee and several other 'structural' issues, my ability to go and travel and tour and hike thousands of kilometers through old, ancient places no longer exists.

Life has a habit of changing our life plans.

Now is the time you should go and visit those exotic places - you can enjoy them now, you have the time, the youth, the health and the funding. You are even at the point where doing youth hostels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel is a viable option so you can extend what funding you have - a lot.

And be in the position to meet lots of young people from many places around the world.

Enjoy your youth while you have it... Trust me those 20's fly by in retrospect and once you hit 40 its all down hill from there. sure you may look young when your 40, but being up to the long nights, all night parties and all of that youthful stuff starts slipping away in your 30's. The day you hit 40 suddenly you will require reading glasses, even if you are fortunate to not get hit by a car (or some other various life changing event) your body will groan and moan and creak and refuse to do a lot that its willing to do for you in your 20's.

I say go - travel, see the world, get a few experiences now while you can enjoy them 110%, then see how you feel about Minneapolis.

Hmmmm..... I like the thought, the only thing that makes me go hmm is all these fucking student loans that need to be payed off!

I hear alot of misconceptions about the gay scene from people who haven't really been a part of it yet and that is understandable.....

The first is concerning bars...I was thinking the other day of the couples I knew who had been together even longer than me and my lover and except for one they all met in bars. Granted that is only nine couples but alot of people say they are looking for love yet dismiss a place where people do meet eye to eye and fall in love all the time. Having worked in one I can tell you that the most fascinating people you could ever hope to meet are there right alongside the people you hope to never meet. As with everything else in life....you basically get out of something what you put into it. I know alot of people like the safety of meeting people online and on dating sites but nothing beats looking in someone's eyes and experiencing the chemistry....

...and in any city with a gay scene there will be people who you fit in with. Funny thing....every "group" of people think the exact same thing...they worry about not finding people "like themselves"....I think it is healthy to find and experience people who are not like you...it will make you a much wiser and more well rounded individual....

.....but sitting on the other side of the bar I heard a zillion -people say they just feel like they don't fit in and I would tell them to relax because if you are gay it is a pre-existing condition from having been socialized in a homophobic society....

..so relax...got to Minneapolis and let yourself experience it. From all accounts I have heard from people I know who have lived there or who moved there...they love it.

Thank you East, you bring up some very good points, and I guess that's the encouragement I need. I don't really know what I'm doing still, I like the idea of Minneapolis a lot, but I also like like Bowyn's bit about seeing more of the world. That being said, I've studied abroad in Germany once before and had a fantastic time and look forward to seeing it again (that being said I reiterate Bowyn's point, I never know what'll keep me from "seeing it again" *sigh*).

After studying there the first time I determined that when I go to graduate school I'd like to do it in Germany, simply to give me an excuse to live there instead of just visit for one semester (it was not long enough)... all that being said, I do have enough money that if I wanted I could go visit Europe for some odd weeks, maybe a month, come back and end up in Minneapolis broke, sleeping on someone's couch and with a hell of a lot more experiences under my belt....

I dunno, it all sounds so great, and I know no matter what I do it WILL be great because life is a beautiful thing and experiencing it is a great experience! Smile (go ahead and report me to the Department of Redundancy Department)

I dunno, it all sounds so great, and I know no matter what I do it WILL be great because life is a beautiful thing and experiencing it is a great experience!

You got it right! I really loved meeting and experiencing different and interesting people and unlike alot of people I know I can say that if I had to do it all over again...I would. I also am not at all bitter or angry about my life and I am happily in love with the same guy for 25 years so I know I did something right....and I was part of the gay scene for at least half of my life. I wouldn't even change the bad stuff because you learn just as much from the bad experiences...maybe even more...and they are an essential part of every journey.

In regards to the gay scene...don't listen to what anyone tells you...even yourself...gay people as a whole are fucking amazing:biggrin: Really...I have always considered myself extremely lucky to be gay because if I wasn't I would have missed out on experiencing some of the most fascinating and beautiful people on the planet.

Some advice I used for myself when I was your age. When you are 21(or any age really)...BE 21! Same with every age....that way when you get older you won't have to worry about what you missed.

gods go some place warm, not Minneapolis

"I met up with one of my good friends from Junior High and since and he was certain to mention that I was welcome to crash at his place at any time"
have an exit plan if you are not compatible or dont like the environment