Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierd Cravings
I've heard of the liverwurst one before and I've maybe had it once or twice.

The cravings are actually for a mineral or nutritional ingredient in the food product.

When I had hepatitis in 1980, once I could start to eat again....I was driven purely by cravings for foods based on what my body was desperate for. Like eating a can of pie filling. Or boiled chicken. Plain pasta.

This is the same thing that drives pregnant women's cravings and the condition known as Pica.

BTE I also have the liverwurst craving every once in awhile and we always keep some on hand.

[MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION]...I absolutely agree about the cravings having something in them that your body needs. I assume with liver it is iron...could be a lot of other things though as well....

LJay Wrote:East, try the liverwurst on rye bread with a little mustard and some thinly sliced onion. The stuff is addictive.

Meridiannight: Place eggs in a pan of cool water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and turn the heat off when they come to a boil. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse in the coldest water you can get, even put ice cubes in it. Then put them in the fridge and, when you want one, crack the large end of the egg first and peel. Easy. Cheap. Good food.

I get a craving for good blue cheese, particularly Roquefort. It is a good idea for me to buy it in fairly small pieces because I will eat it all. Diabetics are known for polyphagia, which means you want to eat all the time. Not easy to deal with. If there are munchies, they won't last, but I am very susceptible to boiled eggs, cold meats, olives or other pickled things, cakes and cookies, just about anything deli, potatoes in nearly any form...

Hmmm....never thought of the onions..I love onion on pretty much everything but never thought to put it on liverwurst...I will try it...also I mostly just buy rye bread...it is my favorite for toast and sandwiches...

I am diabetic too...might have something to do with the cravings...another thing that had never occurred to me.

Virge Wrote:I'm getting suicidal reading this. hahahahahaha!

I don't fantasize about wild sex when I turn off the lights and get ready to sleep. It's always a plate of french fries as thick as much thumb, drenched in catsup, at triple decker cheeseburger loaded with grease and everything that can be put on one -- a giant bowl of home made chili with a mound of hot peppers on top -- and an giant pork chop with gravy for dessert.

LOL...do you ever eat at FIVE GUYS?

I'll bet Virge can't have those meats because of the iron content. He can't have iron in his food.

I love the thread, East. I'm trying to think of my cravings. Living alone, and not being healthy, I eat pretty much what I want, with the exception of a few foods that are too bothersome to make.

I like chicken livers fried, and I do indeed assume it is the iron that makes them appealing. Rarely ever make them, and don't know any place here that even serves them.

Also, I love shrimp boiled in the spices with the shell on. Growing up relatively near the Gulf of Mexico puts that in my blood. I miss it.

I crave the concentrated flavor of the peach filling in peach fried pies. It isn't fresh fruit, but dried peaches that the old women made them with, and it is a conserve when boiled and is a densely peach flavor. I miss it so.

Also, fresh peaches. Neither Alaska nor New Mexico has peaches worth a damn. I used to pick 200 lbs. in about an hour in 102 degree heat, but it was so worth it. They have a fragrance and flavor that is about the same difference as fresh pineapple compared to canned.

Ahh. That was nice. Thanks for the memories.

Hardheaded1 Wrote:I like chicken livers fried, and I do indeed assume it is the iron that makes them appealing. Rarely ever make them, and don't know any place here that even serves them.

chicken and cow livers, love them both! don't particularly crave for them but once I saw them on the market, can't help to buy it
I season them w/ garlic, turmeric, coriander, salt a nd a bit of sugar then eat it with a spicy soy sauce, yummm
OH GAWD, my mouth's watering just from thinking of it

LJay Wrote:East, try the liverwurst on rye bread with a little mustard and some thinly sliced onion. The stuff is addictive.

Meridiannight: Place eggs in a pan of cool water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and turn the heat off when they come to a boil. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse in the coldest water you can get, even put ice cubes in it. Then put them in the fridge and, when you want one, crack the large end of the egg first and peel. Easy. Cheap. Good food.

I get a craving for good blue cheese, particularly Roquefort. It is a good idea for me to buy it in fairly small pieces because I will eat it all. Diabetics are known for polyphagia, which means you want to eat all the time. Not easy to deal with. If there are munchies, they won't last, but I am very susceptible to boiled eggs, cold meats, olives or other pickled things, cakes and cookies, just about anything deli, potatoes in nearly any form...

I also have to buy small quantities and measure it out because otherwise, with my cheese cravings, I would eat cheeses until I was shitting bricks... one of my biggies when I am coming down with a cold or respiratory flu is pickles.....lots and lots of dill pickles......a craving to turn my throat and esophagus environment to acidic I am told....as a way of reducing the breeding ground for the virus.

DEVILED EGGS!!! I Love/Crave deviled eggs!

I add a bit of horse radish and garlic to mine when I make them, and a sprig of Cilantro, topped with a slice of black olive.

[Image: Delicious_Deviled_Eggs.jpg]

Ach!!

Five Guys french fries are an invention of the devil! While I think the rest of their stuff sucks at best, the fries, when gotten straight from the fryer and eaten immediately are irresistable. Crunchy on the outside and very soft on the inside, they are like grandma used to make by hand when she cut them with a paring knife and fried them in a dutch oven full of fat. They are also so salty that your cardiologist would faint. Five Guys fries are a meal in themselves and should not be accompanied by one of their mediocre, over-hyped burgers. Thank you, devil.

That is all.
I bid NO Trump!