Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the human neck evolve?
Go anywhere in the "civilized world," and you will see people walking around with their heads down. Rather than looking where they are going or looking at their surroundings, they are are looking at their smartphones. Will this lead to an evolutionary change in humans, with heads permanently slumped down?

This guy is out on his sailboat - staring at his phone.

http://abc7news.com/pets/man-glued-to-ce...ay/504854/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

People are idiots.

I'll never forget the video of the woman chatting on her phone and falling into a mall fountain because of it.

She later sued the mall, but I don't recall if she won the case or not. She didn't sue for falling in, she sued because the video was posted online and became a huge internet hit, and she felt humiliated.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Technology will advance to the point where cell phones will be implanted in peoples' heads with screen overlays on their retinas.

Resistance is Futile...

[Image: Robotic-eye.jpg]

i saw that mall video too. she sued the mall for it? who was the one who made her look ridiculous in the first place?

i looked up the google articles. now the public also knows her name, thanks to starting the legal proceedings. she would have just remained an anonymous fountain lady had she not done that. now we can connect the stupidity to a name. (she couldn't figure it out that people couldn't actually identify her from that video?). how many brain cells does she have left again?

fountain-lady-faces-criminal-charges/

I agree w/ [MENTION=21075]Borg69[/MENTION] … at least that's the historical arch I'm observing.

Now whether or not this mixing of biology and technology will have long-range SURVIVAL benefits is yet to be determined. Personally I'm skeptical. Much more likely that the fountain lady is a metaphor for the whole human race.

Technology doesn't stick around long enough for humans to adapt to it. Otherwise, we'd all have extra-supple necks for holding phones to our ear, and orangutan arms to switch stations begore they invented TV remotes.

I don't look at my phone while walking - except to switch songs on the headphones. I'm only audibly clueless.

Lex

meridannight Wrote:i saw that mall video too. she sued the mall for it? who was the one who made her look ridiculous in the first place?

Well, she didn't sue because she fell into the fountain. She sued because the security video was released to the public and uploaded to YouTube. That usually doesn't happen.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Google glass is the next step in wearable phone apps or whatever we call the damned thing.

Beyond that, most likely as Borg said, implanted technology.

Real human adaptation to technology is only a few years off. Then it won't be natural evolution but genetic engineering that will start molding and remaking humanity to fit technology, instead of the current and long standing process of technology being molded to fit humans.

Somewhere along the line we will stop making hardware and start making "wet-ware" - machines will stop being made out of inorganic materials and start being biological, genetically engineered machines.

Of course no one knows when we will hit that moment called "The Singularity" NHo doubt our A.I. Overlords will change us to suit them, those of us that survive the initial cleansing as the world is remade to meet the needs of the next apex species on earth, our machines.

Well..they better evolve the damn cars people drive while texting or talking on the phone so the rest of us don't have to die because of the idiots who think it "isn't them" who are the problem.

It is pretty bad when I would rather drive alongside someone who is drunk...at least I know what I am dealing with as I always pay attention to the road on all sides (and no...I do not talk on the phone when I drive...and looking on the internet or texting...OMG...I think it is criminal actually)

My new GRRRRRRRRRR moment...you are driving down the freeway at 65 or 70 MPH and all of a sudden the car in front of you slows down to 35 MPH...and when you are lucky enough not to crash into them and manage to make it in the other lane you see they are dialing...or texting...and if you can't get out from behind them you have to worry about the next car plowing into you because you are going too slow...I want to pull them out of their cars and just slap them .....once....

They need to devise a device that will send a red flashing light to other cars whenever the driver decides to engage in endangering other people's lives.