Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolves should stay in sveden
As long as it is only one fox and as long as they eat the chicken ( not just kill and let them lie... it is a bit Ok for me... but the problem is that they come into a blood rush and kill what they see ). It´s a bit difficult if you like animals to decide whats to do.
This year it was Ok because I had many pigs in the garden... and pigs attack foxes immediately if they see them. If the fox smell that there are pigs they don´t come into the area...
If they attack people its to dangerous to let them alive... a second problem are the fox-worms... they are dangerous for people, too. Here we have foxes in bigger towns too... and by example Berlin has a big problem with wild pigs on the streets... The have a hunter just for the town Smile

Genersis Wrote:Awww.
Cute.:biggrin:
Shame about the ducks and chickens though. But Foxes have to hunt SOMETHING i guess.

We have some foxes here in London. A few normally travel through the communal Garden to my building at night.

There were a few incidences reported on the local news last year where foxes had wondered into people's houses while looking for food and attacked people(Normally the people attacked were asleep or i believe in one case, if i remember correctly, a baby).
These people then started calling for the foxes to be wiped out or at least reduced in number because they were "becoming too brave".
I'm not sure how killing a sizeable chunk of the fox population would make the survivors less brave to be honest.

But meh, some people just like revenge and hide it behind being a "solution".:frown:

It is wrong for humans to try to civilize the wild wood. No good ever comes from human meddling and eradication of a species topples other species.

Here in the states there are areas where hunting is pretty much mandatory, we have to hunt in order to keep the population of deer, elk and other large herbivores down all because the wild predators, wolves, coyote etc have been driven to near extinction.

It is an unnatural system that is actually failing as less and less people are taking up guns and bows to go out and take out a few deer. Rangers are having to take up the case and hunt and pretty much waste good meat.

Salmon are a good example, there used to be so many species of wild salmon, now we have salmon in most rivers that are put there from salmon farms, the majority never make it back to spawn. We mucked up that system and can't fix it.

Once we eradicate a species, or push it to the breaking point, we mess up everything else.

Were I live we used to have mountain lion. The last time I saw one on the property was over 14 years ago. We also used to have beaver. The mountain lions were pushed to the breaking point, and suddenly the river was being over dammed by beaver, so humans had to go out and hunt down the beaver, which pushed them to the breaking point and beyond. The dams were broken up (all of them) which lead to the quiet pools of water instead of the flowing river vanishing, this lead to the tadpoles having no safe harbor, they were washed away, this lead to a crash in the frog population, which lead to a horrible increase of mosquitoes and other insects which lead to the year of hell and the remediation of the mosquito problem with a spraying program that lasted 5 years that soaked the river and the surrounding land with enough pesticide to where there are signs posted along the river telling you 'No Fishing' and 'Don't eat fish out of this river' and 'No Swimming'.

On top of it I have to get both wells tested bi-annually for pesticides by order of the County that mails out reminders every six months that its time for well owners to collect samples of water from their drinking wells and have them tested out of the owners own pocket no less and even.

All because people were afraid of the Mountain lion.

I suppose less than 20 attacks compared to a local population of 2 million in the region was just to high a risk for us humans. We will forget for the moment that the murder rate is 40-50 in the local area or that car fatalities were pushing 200 this past year. Let us instead focus on the less than 20 who died or were maimed teasing a mountain lion.

This is insanity. Mother Nature kept the world nice and tidy and balanced for millions upon millions of years. Then humans came along - and really fucked things up.

Hunting is so popular in Sweden, that the hunt of Wolves are only due to remove the competition. My grandfather is a hunter to although he is in no current condition to hunt, as Inchanté with 200 wolves. Divide that number with all of Sweden's land´it would be 530 square KM per wolf, but they hang in groups and our human population aren't either that big, from what I've heard is that the whole Sweden's population is just as big as London's population in England. So we have a lot of wilderness and woods you see, my grandpa used to shot wolves himself cause the "Territory" was his and his mates alone, but in reality he maybe has seen a very few amounts of them although. He has 1 or 2 furs on his bedroom wall as a trophy to show, but all I think its pretty disrespectful to a thing that is dead.
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

fenris Wrote:people in sweden are afraid of the wolves... so the newspaper and hunters ask to exterminate them ... people are scared and want them hunted and killed

the population density is much higher in these area than here in Denver.

If you keep your trash secured, dont leave out dog food, un attended small things like children, pets all is good. Just in the higher density areas there will be a few people who will do this all the time.

i lived in the mountains west of Denver for a time. There the animals came in waves; so the year of the snake, the mountain lion, black bear, or racoons. The racoons were the most nasty. One years habitation was not the same as the next.

these animals are very shy of humans and stay away if you make lots of noise and give them room to make their escape. and stay away from the mother and offspring.

its just when the population of wild life get disturbed you get lots of rodents, mice.

There was talk awhile back of reintroducing wolves into the Scottish Highlands, partly to counter the growing impact of the increasing size of the Red Deer herds and their impact on local fauna and young trees; but the proposals faced strong resistance from sheep farmers. The last wolves in Scotland were killed in the 17th century I think, or there abouts. The issue continues to arise from time to time so you never know, we may see them here again one day Confusedmile:

I really think they need to stop hunting them , they are such a beautiful creature.
They provide a service in the wild.
We moved in on their territory and took away their habitat.