Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words are just words...right?
How do you guys feel about people who use clearly offensive words in a very offensive manner, but defend themselves by saying that "words are just words, you give them power, and if you get offended then it's all YOUR fault not mine"? You know the ones. The people who use words like "fag" "faggot" "gay" in negative connotations and when people call them out on it, they use that logic because they really don't wanna stop using those words.

Personally it really annoys me. To me it just feels like someone who refuses to own up to their mistake and pass the blame on others. Most of these people know damn well that what they say is offensive too. It's not like they didn't know any better. If I know a word is offensive to a lot of people, I just won't say it. Simple. There are plenty of alternative words that mean pretty much the same exact thing. People do have the right to say whatever they want, but they better not be surprised or act all self righteous when others have a problem with it.

It depends on person.

If I know someone well and he uses some vulgar words, I know what he really means, so it doesn't really bother me.
However, for example, if some serious looking people talking bad things, it really turns me off.

btw, I have to admit that I'm not perfect either and I use offensive words, too. But I'm sure that it's just necessary for some situations. I'm not shy, cause I know I'm not an angel and have my dark side like anyone else.

Quote:You know the ones. The people who use words like "fag" "faggot" "gay" in negative connotation
I don't care. it is just words.

I find its not so much the words used - its the way they are spoken. Someone aggressively saying 'FAG' gets to me however someone laughing and joking and saying 'such a fag at times' that really doesn't bother me. My emotions are very high so I guess I tune in with people a lot.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Yeah, I mainly mean when it's used in a purposefully offensive manner. When people use those words specifically to hurt someone. Like, someone would prefer to call someone a faggot when they're trying to insult them rather than any other word that would convey the same message of distaste in that person. People call each other faggots when they aren't necessarily saying that they're gay, but they know very well that the word is used as a slur for gay people. But instead of choosing a different word, they continue using the word most likely because they know and like how offensive it is.

Quote:"fag" "faggot" "gay" in negative connotations
Apart from 'gay'... I don't understand, 'fag' or 'faggot' should be used in a positive connotation? ...I don't think. At least in a funny way, like we sometimes do on this forum, but...
It's the same for 'nigger' or 'colored' or these words. Even if you're using them in kinda positive way, there's always a bit of racist connotation.

And also, I don't care too much about what people thinks, but I pay attention to words, because I'm definitely not perfect, so I always think what I say, before saying that.
For example I'm totally not racist etc, so I think I can use those words without a problem... But I don't like using them, cause there are different interlocutors out there... I'm not politically correct, but I don't understand why I have to offend someone, randomly when I can be polite.
I have a dignity.

I don't care about the offense itself but more about the person who said the words: if you don't have the intelligence and education to moderate yourself and understand that what are you saying is going to offend someone and it's probably wrong... I'm not happy about that. Especially if I consider you an intelligent person, cause I know 'you can do better than this' and 'you're wasting your intelligence'.
Am I too severe? XD

Well, for example, who uses words like 'nigger', it's definitely mannerless! If someone uses this kind of words in front of african people, I'd feel very uncomfortable!!

So, I can kinda relate to your situation. I'm gay and if someone's talking nasty things about gays in front of me, I'd be very angry..

This reminded me of an on-going debate over here...

There's a certain type of chocolate ball in my country that used to be called "nigger ball" back in the politically incorrect decades. Most people refer to it as a "chocolate ball" now and are offended when the name of the past is used, while some people stubbornly continue to go for the more offensive alternative. They say things like "When I grew up, we called them niggerballs!", "It's not racist or offensive because we don't mean any harm in saying it" and, the stupidest example of them all "If you don't think it's racist to say white pepper, then it can't be racist to say niggerball either!"

It's very stupid to ignore the power of words. They can start wars, end friendships and convey any imaginable feeling, like hatred or contempt. Words are "just" words but their meanings and implications are numerous and significant.

Even gay people called each other "fag" when they are fighting against each other. I heard it very often to my address and i'm answering with the same word. I don't think that it is russian specific of relation between gays- of course it happens in a time when we are not friendly to each other.

Words are never "just words", especially when used in an aggressive or insulting manner.

I have a foul mouth. But I rarely use words as weapons. When I come across those who do, I make it clear it's not appreciated or tolerated. Language is our way of communicating with each other, we evoke emotion through words, we encourage, communicate, spread emotion, share love and experiences..... and unfortunately, can spread hate that way as well.

Words can drive people to great heights, and devastating lows. Words can inspire great things, and horrible acts. Words can change a person's life for the better or worse, and do so every single day.

Words are never "just words".

I doubt I would take the time to associate with someone who couldn't grasp that fact after I've given them a good talk to about their behavior.