Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Words you hate
Thumbs Down 
Are there specific words you hate hearing, or maybe the people who use such words...

Share one and why you hate it.

I'll start with one I hate.

Quaint.

People who use that word think they're better than everyone else. Like rich tourists who show up in your town and talk about how "quaint" it is. I feel like most wear fanny packs and mom jeans. You know what mom jeans are right?

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Meebs

facetious

I have no logical reason why I hate this word but I do lol
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]

I hate the word 'Queer'

Even when its used in the definition for strange or odd. It just really goes through me and I'm not sure why.

I also really dislike when people start referring to the class system and refer to people as 'working class' in quite a derogatory way - as it really isn't anything to be ashamed of, as I think we've found especially in the Covid outbreak without these people we really wouldn't function.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

(04-17-2020, 07:19 AM)Meebs Wrote: facetious

I have no logical reason why I hate this word but I do lol

Is it the act or just the word. The act of being facetious could be a good reason...The word just make me think...Millennial. 

(04-17-2020, 11:53 AM)Mark Wrote: I hate the word 'Queer'

Even when its used in the definition for strange or odd. It just really goes through me and I'm not sure why.

I also really dislike when people start referring to the class system and refer to people as 'working class' in quite a derogatory way - as it really isn't anything to be ashamed of, as I think we've found especially in the Covid outbreak without these people we really wouldn't function.

I have to say I do take some issue with Queer. Queer before it's present usage meant weird. We're not weird. 

Another word I hate is not technically a word. I hate when people say IRREGARDLESS.
I pretty much just ignore anything being said after I heard that, especially if it is something political because I can feel it being pro Trump.

edit: I'm disappointed that Google Chrome's spell check didn't find that to be a misspelling -_-
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Meebs

@InbetweenDreams As you mentioned the 'T' word 'Trump' - Another term that drives me up the wall even though I'm a brit... 'Fake news'.

God I'm sure we don't have to even see him say that a fraction of what any Americans do but it drives me up the wall.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]
[-] The following 1 member Likes Mark's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(04-18-2020, 02:30 PM)Mark Wrote: @InbetweenDreams As you mentioned the 'T' word 'Trump' - Another term that drives me up the wall even though I'm a brit... 'Fake news'.

God I'm sure we don't have to even see him say that a fraction of what any Americans do but it drives me up the wall.

Yeah that word has become a curse word, literally. I hate that you cannot watch the news over here without seeing him, hearing him, a headline about him. Add the quarantine stuff to the mix and I just want to...

[Image: AngerManagement149.jpeg]
Check out my stuff!

(04-18-2020, 02:30 PM)Mark Wrote: @InbetweenDreams As you mentioned the 'T' word 'Trump' - Another term that drives me up the wall even though I'm a brit... 'Fake news'.

From the moment he started to mention Fake News we should have called him Fake President.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

bandwidth.

For some reason this word is now making the rounds at my job in conference calls and emails, always referencing people who are free to help with a project.

"Who on this call has the bandwidth to help on this special project?"

Really? Can't they just say "who's free?"
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(05-02-2020, 03:45 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: bandwidth.

For some reason this word is now making the rounds at my job in conference calls and emails, always referencing people who are free to help with a project.

"Who on this call has the bandwidth to help on this special project?"

Really? Can't they just say "who's free?"
Ugh, don’t remind me of office-speak, please, proactive is another of those non-words.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I hate it when people use the word "bro" disparagingly. I mean, I get that there are obnoxious guys out there who refer to each other as "bro" (two blond brothers on Youtube come to mind) but I don't think going after a family term of endearment is a way to go. Some of the nicest guys I ever met are the jock-bro-type that refer to other guys as bro. I don't call guys who aren't my brother bro, but whenever I hear it used disparagingly, all I picture is some out of touch elite at an expensive private university.