Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know you're getting older when ...
It's probably called driving dangerously, lol;

princealbertofb Wrote:Now why is that, Fred? What's the rationale behind that?

Risk of falling over and breaking a bone.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Being English, I'd say moderation in all things including moderation.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American Transcendentalist poet, philosopher, lecturer, and essayist.

[Image: emerson.jpg]

marshlander Wrote:"Moderation in all things, especially moderation."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American Transcendentalist poet, philosopher, lecturer, and essayist.

B****r. Most vexatious to learn that was written by an American.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:B****r. Most vexatious to learn that was written by an American.
Comiserations

Bighug

Doesn't mean that you cannot adhere, whilst still being English... does it?

princealbertofb Wrote:Doesn't mean that you can adhere, whilst still being English... does it?

No, moderation is far to essential to being English for it to be dropped on account of it being promoted by an American. It does however rob me of many opportunities to use one of my more quotable quotes.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:No, moderation is far to essential to being English for it to be dropped on account of it being promoted by an American. It does however rob me of many opportunities to use one of my more quotable quotes.

A quote is a quote is a quote, Fred, not matter where it came from... If it was well said, then quote it, if not, don't bother... Incidentally I misquoted myself. See above.

princealbertofb Wrote:A quote is a quote is a quote, Fred, not matter where it came from...

I beg to differ. A great many things would have been lost to the mists of time had they not been said by Wilde, Shakespeare, etc. Such is their general standing that even their lesser utterances get quoted.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:I beg to differ. A great many things would have been lost to the mists of time had they not been said by Wilde, Shakespeare, etc. Such is their general standing that even their lesser utterances get quoted.

You wrote: "It does however rob me of many opportunities to use one of my more quotable quotes."

To which I answered that a quote was a quote, no matter where it came from. If it's worth quoting, you can still quote it, no matter who said it, American, Irish, English, French... If it's worth repeating it, the origin of the utterance makes no matter. Thus you can have a wealth of quotes from all the other clever thinkers of this planet, be they Arabic, British, German or .... American. lol. I would certainly not limit my sources to Wilde or Shakespeare or Burns or Shaw... There are so many other great thinkers out there.