Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You may not be seeing me around much....
Hi there gang!

Well, as some of you know I'm "semi retired." Ordinarily I work three days a week and am "on call" as needed the rest of the time. My job title (I picked it myself) is "Graphics Manager." It's just something I made up because I do a lot of imaging (but I am NOT a graphic artist - difficult to explain).

I work for very small family owned company and have, basically, worked there since 1977. I know, right? Who does THAT in this day and age?

WELL... ok so I'd just mentioned to my boss (with whom I'm very good friends) that I could use a few more hours a week. AND wouldn't you know it, under the "be careful what you ask for you just might get it" banner, low and behold we were contacted two weeks ago by an architectural firm that needed SOMEONE to do some graphic imaging work for them.

Due to the nature of this project I can't give you full DETAILS; I can only say that, among other large corporations, it involves Google. Due to my preliminary work, we've been awarded a contract to fulfill a project (the largest we've ever undertaken). The first phase of our part of the project requires the "imaging" of the interiors of TWO, two story multi-office complexes that, even though ground breaking just took place two days ago, WILL BE completed by the second week of November. (Yes, this year.)

To fulfill the first phase of our contract, we must have that imaging work completed in 13 days!

Although I may check in at odd moments, early morning, when I take my lunch, late at night, etc., I will NOT be around as much as usual. In fact, I expect to be working about 8 hours a day every day until August 19th -- and I'll also spend as much time at the gym as I possibly can.

So, you guys be good, ya hear? Wavey

OK Mike. Congratulations on the new work. Have a good time. We'll miss your posts. Come back soon.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

good luck on the added hours!

Congrats Mike! Good luck with your project.

Zum-pum-marum!!
Just put a perimeter spell on ya...
Just to make sure you come back...

Ok Mike , chat with us when you are able, all the best with your job and take care.

Good luck, take care and have some fun with it if you can Smile

Won't ask identifying questions but want to understand the nature of the work better. Is it like CAD?

Miles Wrote:Good luck, take care and have some fun with it if you can Smile
LOL, thanks, I already am.... It IS a bear of a project due to the deadline but other than that it is actually fun. I (mostly) LOVE my job and I'm damn good at it, too. So thanks Smile

And thanks to all for the good wishes!

Xyxthumbs

ShiftyNJ Wrote:Won't ask identifying questions but want to understand the nature of the work better. Is it like CAD?
Not exactly. Its like creating a flat photoshop document that is not just "to scale" but LITERALLY the physical dimension (at low resolution) of the actual project.... so, if you can, imagine a photoshop file that depicts a wall that is over 20' long.... and imaging the artwork that will be hanging on that wall (all framed and everything). In other words, not "to scale" but actual size to the inch. It's even more complicated than that, but, no it isn't CAD in the 3D sense of the term... 2D, yes (CAD means "computer aided design," which this is, but it isn't a 3D model).

Gotta go. One thing I'm INSISTING on is that I get my "at the gym time" so off to that I am.

Wavey