Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
charity collecters/commercials.
Ok so is anyone else sick of seeing commercials showing dying starving people with popular pop songs as backing music, like one particular ad with the song "I,ll stand by you"

So the images and then the lyrics..... "hey, why do you look so sad, tears are in your eyes, come and talk to me now"

Other commercials telling you graphicly how a child is probably being beaten right now and my £2 a month would stop that! - id like to know how exactly, my money will help in spotting child abusers. its not a money issue in my mind but one of human ignorance and stupidity. I feel insulted by the nature and increasing number of these Ads.

I do understand charity but (I) dont want or need this rammed down my throat.

you cannot walk down any street in england today without some 20yo grinning across there whole face, pen & clipboard in hand, pretty much assaulting you, to give to there charity. Is there no privacy anymore? Must every person have YOUR moralistic views pushed onto them ? Are we all stupid and cant make capable decisions on our own.

YES! Thank you. I know it sounds insensitive, but after a while I just stop caring. Yes, life sucks all over the damn planet. It's not my responsibility to save the world, though. It's just as bad as the beggars here constantly asking me for change every time I step out of the damn house. Do I look like I'm made of money?

Those People who stop you in the street wit clipboard and pen really bug me. I tell them that I can not stop I am running late. Once one off them followed me.
An eye for an eye

Dan they have no respect for anyone, they,ve offended me too and i told one to f off.

^ ive perfected an "im not interested" stare and they tend to leave me alone. a couple of times i flat out ignored them, just didnt respond, just didnt even want to give them that, didnt even twitch an eyebrow, pretended i was a french tourist to myself. There just so intrusive aaah. Damn people botherers aaaaaaaaaagggh !!!

I can't help but notice that the charities that get all the good reviews for ethics, spending about 85% of donations on the actual stated mission, etc, don't have the time or money to continually solicit (one kind of exception is Doctors Without Borders, whenever I check them out on the web Firefox or whatever automatically puts them on the ad space for like a month after, as they do a few businesses, though I'd never donate through that as I have no idea if that ad actually goes to the charity or just impersonating them). Meanwhile nearly every group that solicits a lot and/or teams up with public businesses tend to get low ratings...and sometimes criminal charges for gross mismanagement of funds (including luxury cars and keeping mistresses in condos).

I've always been careful about who I give to charity-wise, and the fact that if I give to one seems to get me placed on a sucker list (so much easier to do in this electronic age which probably even agreeing to "round up" at the grocery store automatically puts my phone number on the list) so that a score or so will contact me (the charities sell the list of course) has also discouraged me greatly.

Though I am happy to share that yesterday I met a homeless guy whom I've helped before both individually and at the food bank (as both a donator and volunteer) that he used to go to (before it shut down due to embezzlement of donations & grants :frown: ) and even after 2 years he called me by name and was very friendly toward me, obviously he remembered me well (and he neither hit on me sexually nor hit me up for money, I believe he was just glad to see a friendly face). And for what it's worth the guy is a major pot head, too, but apparently his memory survives. Wink I recall him well, too, I always liked his ironic sense of humor, and it's nice to know that years later what I did is still appreciated.

Thanks pix yes i will give to homeless people occasionally, ive been there also, but i would not give to homeless charitys such as shelter, no way.

"This is Natasha. Every day she wakes up at 5 AM and spends the next 20 hours gathering food for her 6 orphaned siblings. None of them have any food to eat, water to drink or warmth to... be warm in. You, on the other hand, are a middle-class privileged individual with food to eat, water to drink and warmth to be warm in. Every 5 seconds a child like Natasha dies. Seriously, do something about it."

I'm all for charity but making people feel horrible about themselves is manipulative and obnoxious. After the tsunami in Thailand (2003 I think, perhaps 2004) Swedish television was full of commercials like that. Don't get me wrong, trying to raise money for a cause like that is great! However, most of these commercials were so focused on causing guilt that the 7/8 year old me developed extreme feelings of shame for living such a good life, causing me to give all the money I had to the Red Cross. It's pretty unlikely that even half of the amount I have actually went to those in need and for literary years after I kept dealing with rather severe guilt.

Chuggers.

Charity Muggers, the new collective noun given to charity collectors on the high street or knocking door-to-door.

The guys doing the collecting are on commission-based earnings and the firm employing them also takes a cut of whatever they bring in.

I understand that collectors may only follow you for three paces and no more.

Its the sort of thing the charity collecters in the street do (try to make you feel bad about yourself) if you politley say no, lts the subtle expressions, there face will drop, now im a beast! I live on just about enough, not a life of luxurys, and theres also the worry, as some have mentioned, of how much actually reaches the people in need.