Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cooking
Good recipes, now you want the deep fried taste w/o deep frying? After cutting, before seasoning the fries, par boil them until they are 3/4 done, then finish as usual, but up the oven to 500 and, cut the time in there to 10-15 minutes, just to crisp them up. That gets the fluffy inside and crisp outside.

As for the burger that goes with them, the trick is mixing 1/4 cup of fresh bread crumbs (about one slice of bread) soaked in milk then squeezed out, to the meat along with the seasonings before cooking - it makes them not shrink and, keeps them juicer so they are nice a drippy, just like the pub burgers Smile

Another money saver: You know that take out fried chicken that's so good, well you can do it at home, with the cheap chickens from the grocery store.

You need a cut up chicken, buttermilk, a packet of dry Italian salad dressing mix, flour and, corn flakes.

Put 2 cups of corn flakes in a plastic bad and crush them up. Mix 1.5 cups of flour with the Italian dressing mix. Dip the chicken in buttermilk, then toss it in the flour, then back to the butter milk, then into the corn flakes. Bake at 400 for about 40-45 minutes. Super crispy and just the right spice, like that expensive take out chicken.

Vege stock made from leeks and standard mirepoix is delicious just on its own. It's a really nice comforting food.

It is, I can lots of that, good as is or for adding meat later to make a quick stew. Smile

What's your favourite stock?

I think mine is Japanese dashi stock.

I like Dashi or a homemade of the carrot peels, onion skins, celery trimmings with a little salt and garlic added.

Sometime I use leftover bean cooking liquid, if I have any, no point tossing the flavor and nutriments in that, if you have it and, it does make a thicker broth, almost a gravy.

it sounds nice... Sadly i keep having beans on toast lol

I always think Broth should taste clean and clear so that's why dashi is so appealing to me Big Grin

I made gingerbread biscotti today! Yum ;D it's the wrong season to be making gingerbread things but ginger ginger ginger.

There's my hand.
[Image: dsc1457s.jpg]

And the other image was too big to upload, oh well. They are delicious and crunchy, and soft and spongy when dipped in tea Smile