Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cooking
zeon Wrote:ASDA do hovis ready made bread for less than a £ so would take up some of your time.... they charge like £1.50 for a loaf or 80p for a value one lol

Its not that much lol, I'd rather have nice shop bought bread like kingsmill soft, 80p or £1.50 isn't going to break the bank if you only use one loaf a week. not a fan of hovis bread, it has a yeasty taste to it.

lol.... I am truely a tight arse when it comes to the pennies I hate spending my money and will de prive myself of things i want if i find it a tad too pricey... I dont buy treats from asda either when i do a monthly food shop... I know i want to eventually cook something really big and tasty but not sure what i did try once to do chocolate bread but it went wrong as i got cocoa powder and wanted chocolate sauce

just got my loaf out the oven and its smelling LOVELY... I am dead happy to achieve a perfect loaf!!!! Or to me its perfect :-)

zeon Wrote:lol.... I am truely a tight arse when it comes to the pennies I hate spending my money and will de prive myself of things i want if i find it a tad too pricey... I dont buy treats from asda either when i do a monthly food shop... I know i want to eventually cook something really big and tasty but not sure what i did try once to do chocolate bread but it went wrong as i got cocoa powder and wanted chocolate sauce

lol i just save the money i have and if i see something i like buy it, like yeasterday I bought online the new psp, 2 games and a ps3 game. lol cooking really isn't that scary, as long as you can read, count and follow instructions it should go ok. might seem a bit daunting at first, but whats the worst that could happen? your scones or bread might fall fall or well you could even give someone food poisioning, but nothing too serious lol :-)

zeon Wrote:just got my loaf out the oven and its smelling LOVELY... I am dead happy to achieve a perfect loaf!!!! Or to me its perfect :-)

next time attempt it without the packet, I'm sure it will taste more satisfying, well done :-)

take a pic and show!!! I wanna see results! : )

ok i will try to fdigure it out i got photos just gotta upload em

I'm good at cooking and many love my Tex Mex. But I'm trying to learn to make Thai, Hunan, and even Indian cuisine yet I'm finding it difficult to master. I can make edible meals that closely resemble it but it just doesn't match the restaurants I love, at least not yet.

zeon Wrote:A tip for mash potato,,,

Using a hand mash or in my case a retro 1970's hand manual wisk thing add some butter with a drop of milk and after its blended nicely using a modern day fork wisk it up as fasdt as u can to go all fluffy and add a sprinkle of sugar... Depending on your sweet tooth if you have a strong sweet tooth add 4 big spoon fulls of sugar and blend it all in.... Makes it very more ish and bloody lovely... Alternatively do a volcano meal... Diced chicken and veg mixed with mash with a well at the top and in the top pour some gravy so when its sliced down the side the gravy runs and the meal can be dunked in it for a change

I think I read somewhere that the creamier the mash, the tastier it is... I like to choose potatoes that are sufficiently floury and that will mash nicely... I use a masher like the one you suggest, I agree that it gives it a distinctive homemade quality for the texture.. I mix my potatoes with milk and nutmeg and then add a lavish quantity of cream and butter... Well, it goes to your taste. I don't know about putting sugar in it, but do believe you need some salt.

i cook more in the winter, usually go to CostCo and get a large quantity:
pork roast for the slow cooker
or
chicken thighs and bread them, bake them.
put in the freezer.

over the holidays i baked some pumpkins and make like 10 pies, make some medium quality steam beer.
we did thanksgiving dinner at the partner's friends house, the pie and beer was a hit.
sorry folks, just common stuff.