Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
define being a man
dfiant Wrote:A man merely has dangly bits between their legs. Trying to define a man is like trying to define a rainbow by 1 colour Wink

I'm just saying Smile

OMG yes!!!

I love the way you put that

You gotta hunt/cant cry/don't run from a fight only indicates to one thing (Not really "cant cry")... Courage. Being a man is mostly about being courageous, but then on the other hand I've meet women more courageous than me so it doesn't really add up. As most its just an old term from an old age where women weren't considered as highly as men, even the word woman contains the word "man" in it.
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

dfiant Wrote:A man merely has dangly bits between their legs. Trying to define a man is like trying to define a rainbow by 1 colour Wink

I'm just saying Smile

I am more thsn just genitals. Being a man is not the same.as being male to me.

Nick9 Wrote:Hank, if your girlfriend felt so confident and sure about herself, would you see her as less feminine, less female? Confusedmile:

No, it has nothing to do with feminine or masculine. man is our species.

hank Wrote:I am more thsn just genitals. Being a man is not the same.as being male to me.

to me being a man and being a male are one and the same...a gender definition.

Not all men are beer drinking sports fantics.

Not all men could would be brave enough to run into a burning house to save a life, but these are the things that we seem to look at when define the male gender. Unfortunately to those that do not fit those 'stereotypes' or what is expected of a 'man' often feel alienation, left behind, less of a person.

So what I am saying is you cannot define a man other than by gender because there is nothing typical about all men and for that case all women.

So realistically, you CAN only turely define a man by his genitals.

dfiant Wrote:to me being a man and being a male are one and the same...a gender definition.

Not all men are beer drinking sports fantics.

Not all men could would be brave enough to run into a burning house to save a life, but these are the things that we seem to look at when define the male gender. Unfortunately to those that do not fit those 'stereotypes' or what is expected of a 'man' often feel alienation, left behind, less of a person.

So what I am saying is you cannot define a man other than by gender because there is nothing typical about all men and for that case all women.

So realistically, you CAN only turely define a man by his genitals.
I was speaking figuratively, I think that was the gist of this thread.

hank Wrote:I was speaking figuratively, I think that was the gist of this thread.
Oh ok, I don't do figurative as it requires labels, and labels are for clothes. Wink

Man, Wo-Man, Hu-Man...yupp, we are all the same ^^. Our physical features define our biological gender but really...in an over populated world, reproduction really isn't as essential anymore xD

dfiant Wrote:Oh ok, I don't do figurative as it requires labels, and labels are for clothes. Wink

Figurative is also based highly in subjective perception. But I really think he was looking for a subjective answer.

I have a hard time not thinking in the abstract spectrum.

sonofthemanse Wrote:I'm in the middle of reading 'Growth Into Manhood' by Alan Medinger. Basically it's all about how with God's help you can straighten yourself out. (It's a dangerous book. Don't read it - unless you want a good laugh!) Medinger claims that homosexuals have not fully grown as men; they have stopped becoming 'men', whether they realised or wanted to or not. Medinger claims that we can grow as men by being accepted as men - this is possibly why we haven't grown, because we were rejected or bullied by parents and/or peers. How do we get accepted & affirmed as men? By "doing the things that men do" e.g. joining a rugby team or doing something similarly macho. (Personally speaking, if I were to join a rugby team not only would I be squished into mincemeat within 5 minutes, but I'd perv on all the hot ones in the changing room. Some way to stop being gay!)

I'm sorry to say but that man has it all wrong... Well, a lot of it wrong. What he doesn't understand is that plenty of real men are gay, are brave, display behaviour and conduct that is quite sufficiently macho, but if they're clever they don't have to go down that stupid route, and they also have an understanding both of hetero men and hetero women, and still display all the requisites of men.

Some play rugby, it doesn't make them less gay. Some are soldiers and fight in dangerous wars, it doesn't make them less gay. Some are artists, some dangle from lines and cross circus tents on trapezes and are no less manly. Some have children and bring them up. What more could they do to be men?

When you look at the number of men who are afraid of commitment, or who leave their families, how many of them are gay? Probably no more than the usual 3-5%, yet those are people who can't face these expectations of society.

That author sounds profoundly ignorant.