Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
demonstrate the gay vote
Most elections here in the US are decided on 1-3%.
would anyone be willing to vote for a less than personally acceptable candidate. Just to demonstrate the gay population could swing an election.

The 1-3% statistic is true but also misleading. Presidential elections are decided by a larger percentage of the electorates of certain key states. Much more important however is that in many places, targeting the gay vote, loses more votes than it gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

hows it lose more??? im slioghtly confused lol

zeon Wrote:hows it lose more??? im slioghtly confused lol

Social conservatives outnumber gays and progressives who care strongly about gay rights. The fact of the matter is that a politician can get away with a lack of hostility towards gays to get the gay vote, while a more directly pro-gay position will likely alienate potential social conservative voters for him. Of course, in some regions, like certain urban centers, it might benefit a politician to forward the progressive message. It would depend on the demographics and the way the message is delivered. A lot of times politicians will sneak through community targeted policies by working at the grass root level to prevent alienating other voters.

(Edit: Also, gay people tend to be diffused throughout society geographically, so in the first past the post voting system our impact as a community is diffused on wedge politics, unlike ethnic communities which are more concentrated in electoral districts.)

pellaz Wrote:Most elections here in the US are decided on 1-3%.
would anyone be willing to vote for a less than personally acceptable candidate. Just to demonstrate the gay population could swing an election.

They might if they all voted the same way, but that's unlikely.... So, what to do?

princealbertofb Wrote:They might if they all voted the same way, but that's unlikely.... So, what to do?

pellaz Wrote:Just to demonstrate the gay population could swing an election.

Invasion

Yes they might.

I am third party (no I will not tell which party), centrist moderate.

I never get to vote for my party and those who hold my political views. Especially for President of These blighted United States.

As such, I have made it a practice to vote for the person I feel would be the one to do the least amount of damage in office. Yes that is much harder than voting for the 'best man'.

For instance McCain V Obama. My vote was swung to Obama because Palin scared me. I could easily see McCain kicking the bucket in the first year of office, the notion that Palin would spend 3 years as president terrified me. Had he a different, more stable running mate my vote would have went to him.

I do not vote solely on LGBT leanings. I am not just gay, there is a lot more to me than my sexuality.