Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay characters in non-LGBT films
do you know any?

i'm watching Miller's Crossing again today. from the first time i saw that film Gabriel Byrne's character made my gaydar tick, so to say. especially in the end of the picture, the way he looks after Leo as the latter is walking away....something about that look makes me think of two guys all hot and messed up for each other. it goes right through you like that. one of the best and most memorable moments in film history for me. and strangely, a few of my straight (male) acquaintances have commented on that very same scene and said that that was a lover's look there. that no straight guy could look at another man like that. they also agree Byrne's character was gay.

i'd like to know what gay guys think of this. have you seen Miller's Crossing and what's your opinion on Byrne's character?

and feel free to bring up any other gay characters, or characters you suspect might be gay, or just want an opinion on, from non-LGBT films.

Attention all bear lovers! Gobber from How to Train Your Dragon is apparently gay.

[Image: gobber_hero.jpg]

Animated films need more gay characters.

I only saw the movie once, when it was in theaters many years ago. I only remember the terrible stereotypical character John Torturro played. The other thing I rememer is how much I liked the Gabriel Byrne character, so maybe I was thinking the same.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

The Jock in ParaNorman

really? nobody besides me and Bhp has seen Miller's Crossing here?

I'm afraid I haven't watched it yet, [MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION].

To be honest, [MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION], all you have to do is watch a bunch of film that came out prior to the liberated sixties to find gay -ish characters in films that are not about gay relationships or lesbian relationships. Their roles tend to be rather stereotypical however.

meridannight Wrote:do you know any?

i'm watching Miller's Crossing again today. from the first time i saw that film Gabriel Byrne's character made my gaydar tick, so to say. especially in the end of the picture, the way he looks after Leo as the latter is walking away....something about that look makes me think of two guys all hot and messed up for each other. it goes right through you like that. one of the best and most memorable moments in film history for me. and strangely, a few of my straight (male) acquaintances have commented on that very same scene and said that that was a lover's look there. that no straight guy could look at another man like that. they also agree Byrne's character was gay.

i'd like to know what gay guys think of this. have you seen Miller's Crossing and what's your opinion on Byrne's character?

and feel free to bring up any other gay characters, or characters you suspect might be gay, or just want an opinion on, from non-LGBT films.

I haven't seen it (gangster/crime movies not really my genre) but you are definitely not alone in interpreting it this way:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100150/reviews-298

ShiftyNJ Wrote:I haven't seen it (gangster/crime movies not really my genre) but you are definitely not alone in interpreting it this way:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100150/reviews-298

none of the characters they are talking about is the character i am talking about. i meant Tom, played by Gabriel Byrne. while i agree with the review that Byrne and Leo's relationship is not erotic in nature, i think Byrne's character loves him, and that that is homoerotic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100150/reviews-298 Wrote:I know that some people see homoeroticism between Leo and Tom but I don't see anything erotic about their relationship. I think they love each other and are deeply devoted to each other but that's as far as it goes.

PS. as far as gangster films go this is the lightest one of them out there. watching it doesn't feel like a gangster film at all.

meridannight Wrote:and feel free to bring up any other gay characters, or characters you suspect might be gay, or just want an opinion on, from non-LGBT films.

How about Simon Bishop? Played by Greg Kinnear in "As Good As It Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!