Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help for your passwords
i wanted to post this on that other thread as a reply to Anocxu, but i decided to create a whole independent thread for it, because a lot of you might benefit from this:

Anocxu Wrote:So hacking passwords is really just a game of Jeopardy.

Most websites are 8 maybe 10 characters max..
I guess it's time to change that.

the problem is, people are using real words for their passwords. there is a way around that, by creating your own personal password primer. i'm gonna give you some tips that can be helpful, and that i use (among some other things) myself:

--start substituting certain letters for some others.
for example, always substitute letter w for L (capitalized or not). so, instead of typing 'Wellington.was.at.Waterloo' your password is 'Lellington.Las.at.Laterloo'. much more difficult to crack.

--always capitalize certain letters (but not others). capital letters make passwords harder to crack (they are essentially a self-standing character in the alphabet for the hackers, which doubles the alphabet for them. huge advantage for you!).
for example start capitalizing m, t, r, and q. so instead of 'tourniquet.tranquil.amaranth' your password reads now 'TouRniQueT.TRanQuil.aMaRanTh'. there is no way for the hackers to know exactly which and how many letters you are capitalizing. they exist now in mid-word instead of in the beginning of it, and the ease of cracking your password just went up exponentially. in essence, the above password would be impossible to crack.

--always omit certain other letters.
for example, never type out i and f. so instead of 'further.inland.field', your password reads 'urther.nland.eld'

add the capitalization: 'uRTheR.nland.eld'.
add the substitution from the first suggestion, e.g. substitute 'l' for 'y' and you get: 'uRTheR.nyand.eyd'.

--use certain characters other than letters.
for example: # and " . people tend to use numbers (years, and birthdates, mostly) and maybe punctuation or hyphenation marks in their passwords. these are easily predictable and thus easily hackable. use characters normally not in use in common every day text. choose some certain characters and stick with them.

the punctuation i used in password examples above is just to separate out the words, not to be used in the password like that.

these simple rules will be easy for you to remember. and only you know what they are. it might take getting used to in the beginning, but once you've familiarized yourself with your own primer, making such modifications to your password comes naturally. you don't need to create a randomized wall of text generated by a computer app that has no meaning and that you need another medium to even store it.

these above guidelines are just a few things that will help you create your own completely unique password. you can follow such rules for every password and keep them constant across passwords (i.e. do not omit different letters for different passwords, this will only be more difficult to remember. always keep them one and the same, no matter what the password is).

this turns your password essentially into gibberish, it's no longer easy dictionary words, and consequently impossible to hack if it is of sufficient length. already at 10 characters this will create a very strong password.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

When I was 12, Piczo was popular where people could make webpages for themselves. I found this website that someone who lived only a miles away from me had made and I guessed his password and got into his website. It seems mad, but it's easy to guess people's passwords if you know the person. You just have to think like they think, which usually involves smacking your head against a brick wall over and over again, incurring irreparable brain damage.

That's awesome information. .
Years ago I was hanging with a crew of programmers and I never thought to ask.

So "Dictionary" words will always be easy to hack based on the fact that they are just typical and predictable.

I think I'll sit and hash out a few formulas and begin changing my passwords .
Once again thanks for the info.. If you don't mind I am going to share this info with a few of my friends.

Excellent information Meridiannight. Just to check how safe your password is, use this:

http://howsecureismypassword.net/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I somtimes use numbers inplace of a couple of the letters but also the spell it backwards. This is perhaps the only situation thay being dyslexic can be of a help. Coz you have no idea how I'm going to try and spell somthing lol

Interesting, You are a human randomizer Meridan.

Thanks! Smile
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Anocxu Wrote:Once again thanks for the info.. If you don't mind I am going to share this info with a few of my friends.

go ahead. it's not like this is some secret information. if it was, i wouldn't have posted it on the internet.

the beauty of this code is, even if people started using it en masse (which i know they won't), and hackers knew about it (they might), it would be a pain for them to enter all of the permutations resulting from this code into their algorithms.

PS. the reason dictionary words are easy to crack is because the hackers have scanned whole dictionaries into their cracking algorithms. they no longer have to crack every character separately (that would take a lot of time) for all the possible permutations, they have ready words and formulas (e.g. birth dates, years, capital letter in the beginning) to ease and speed the process up.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Well, if you just realize that people are nice you don't have to worry about any of this.

Now can someone explain why there is no money in my bank account?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Well, if you just realize that people are nice you don't have to worry about any of this.

Now can someone explain why there is no money in my bank account?

You keep all your money hidden under the mattress!!!!

I'll be over shortly,,, get you drunk,,, and molest your mattress (big grin)

Money Grubber,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Actually, I sleep on a yoga mat covered by a tattered sheet that the asylum gave me when they released me. It reminds me of better times.

But is is OK if you want to come over. I am sure we can find something for you to molest.
I bid NO Trump!