Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hot but smelly
First world problems, gotta love them.

People dieing of thirst on this planet lol.

SilverBullet Wrote:Furthermore typically when something has an odor its due to the presence of bacteria and said bacteria's byproduct, do you want that in your body regardless of orifice?

Do you know that you have bacteria on you all over your body and in your intestines (which is physiologically actually an external environment), and in your holes? Bacteria are ubiquitous. Even taking a shower doesn't get rid of all the bacteria on your body, and soon after you'll be contaminated with them anyway.

I don't see this as an argument. Bacteria are always present. Bacteria eat certain proteins in sweat and break it down into acids which causes the smell. It has a lot more to do with the person's diet and medical conditions (if any) that influences the body odor, not the presence of bacteria itself.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I am aware bacteria is a natural thing, im also aware that much of the bacteria we naturally have on our skin is actually GOOD for us. However when someone doesn't take a shower and keep them-self clean other bacteria are introduced and its a completely valid argument as some of the introduced bacteria is neither beneficial OR healthy. Notice I said TYPICALLY the smell is either bacteria or a byproduct I did not say always, but yes medical conditions and health in general are a factor but when its someone that doesnt clean themselfs im gonna lean on the former

SilverBullet Wrote:I am aware bacteria is a natural thing, im also aware that much of the bacteria we naturally have on our skin is actually GOOD for us. However when someone doesn't take a shower and keep them-self clean other bacteria are introduced and its a completely valid argument as some of the introduced bacteria is neither beneficial OR healthy. Notice I said TYPICALLY the smell is either bacteria or a byproduct

Yeah, that's correct. Bacteria that live on humans are mostly either neutral or beneficial to us. Their presence also prevents harmful bacteria from setting up home on/in us.

I was just checking. Some people don't know this, and they equate all bacteria with harm. Which is a very misguided thing to do. It's good you're aware of this.

PS. To the bolded part: bacteria themselves don't smell. It's the breakdown byproducts that smell. Diet influences the smell more, i.e. the kind of proteins that are found in the sweat. Emotional states also influence this smell, by the way.

It does not have that much do with showering. A person can smell 10 minutes after the shower, and another doesn't necessarily smell even after 3 days without a shower. It's the diet and the emotional state, the predominant factors.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I bet you guys bath your cats too lol

Yeah it is true that someone could smell 10 minutes after showering....I think I can narrow that down to two reasons... 1. They don't wear deodorant 2. They eat a lot of foods with Sulfur or Selenium which can make you smell more. However, that being said I'd say the majority is #1 .

Anyway, bottom line is if you stink you most likely don't shower enough or wear perfume, deodorant...

I suppose happy people smell better than unhappy people? I guess this might be why assholes stink.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

meridannight Wrote:PS. To the bolded part: bacteria themselves don't smell. It's the breakdown byproducts that smell.

I said its the bacteria and the byproducts of the bacteria, I should have said "or" opposed to and.
Although I am not 100% that bacteria have ZERO smell I wanted to include the possibility in my statement.
And though I never said a shower gets rid of all, regular cleaning even semi regular will control and limit it to a mostly tolerable degree. Even IF its a health condition showering is not going to hurt in most cases although it may not help much. (they do produce odor covering/absorbing soaps)

Hygiene is important for men ask most women what happens when they dont keep clean, we dont have it as bad, but its still important that we take care of ourselfs for our sake and others *especially our partners*.

Well, all humans are smelly no matter how hard they try to prevent it or mask it. Some people shower 2 - 3 times a day, use scented laundry detergent, brush their teeth 3 times a day, use deodorant, use mouthwash, chew gum, use cologne, and clean their houses with scented products, use scented candles, potpourri, and incense, and still alas, their scent is detectable. Yes I find some body odors offensive. With some people I really like their scent.

So [MENTION=23122]Ari[/MENTION], if you like a strong-scented guy and don't really mind the smell, then don't make a problem out of it. Just know that habits are hard to break, so you either take him as he is, or you move on knowing he would probably not change his habits very much for you.

[I've gone on week long-backpacking trips sharing a 2-man tent with no possibility of a shower. That is well beyond the scope of this thread!]

artyboy Wrote:I bet you guys bath your cats too lol
only when im willing to risk a death scenario Big Grin
only gave Cameo one bath and it was because she was soo covered in dirt it was stopping up her nose Smile. she got loose once and I didnt find her till that night *she had hid under the house*

[MENTION=20941]Camfer[/MENTION] Used to work at a place near the AT. People coming off the trail smelled horrible but they likely didn't notice as much themselves as one will get used to the smells... To me that is different when you're backpacking, that is par for the course, but for daily life, if we are going to participate well in society going to have to wash our asses, or one or all of the things you listed there.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!