Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to tell him?
no this isn't about my sexuality. Recently though, i been questioning a lot of things and i'm finding myself leaning more & more away from my religious beliefs and for the most part can safely say i am mostly atheist and strangely, not telling my dad this is bothering me more than anything elseRolleyes, so any advice on how to come out to him( as a atheist)?

How is not telling your dad what's bothering you more than anything else? Please share more.

If your "leaning" is about growing and improving your happiness in day-to-day living then is it in any way a bad thing in your mind or heart?
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:How is not telling your dad what's bothering you more than anything else? Please share more.

If your "leaning" is about growing and improving your happiness in day-to-day living then is it in any way a bad thing in your mind or heart?
oh no, it's not a bad thing certainly, it's just that one of the things bothering about is that i feel i can reason with him about the "sexuality" but also admitting to him that i'm an atheist...i just don't how he will handle it since we all know where atheists goRolleyes( will he be upset, become depressed, etc.) and i just don't like making people feel terrible.

Maybe tell him you have been exploring different faiths, and have gotten fed up with the divisions and ideologies that, though all based on the Bible, contradict each other and, you need to step back and figure out what is right and true for you.

You aren't telling him you are giving up on God entirely, but you are telling him you are moving away from God at least for a time. It's fairly honest and, it lets him keep his hope for your salvation.

jaxc Wrote:oh no, it's not a bad thing certainly, it's just that one of the things bothering about is that i feel i can reason with him about the "sexuality" but also admitting to him that i'm an atheist...i just don't how he will handle it since we all know where atheists goRolleyes( will he be upset, become depressed, etc.) and i just don't like making people feel terrible.

Well if you don't believe in heaven or hell, then surely you believe in getting as much "heaven" in the here-and-now as reasonably possible. If your dad can appreciate that despite his fear/worry about afterlife then that may be an acceptable compromise. You might just keep it from him all together unless he presses you. And get your relief by talking to someone else to get it all off your chest on a regular basis until you have it in an acceptable perspective to let the worry go.

Best wishes!Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Umm it depends on how religious your dad is. I presume from this thread that he is religous and that is why you are having issues with telling him you are an atheist. I would just ask him how he feels about you being an atheist - then have a good explanation as to why you are. If he is reasonable then he may be a little worried for your soul or whatever but should respect your decision. Good Luck!

Hello,
i would maybe notify your dad before going to church that you wont be attending anymore and if he says why not you can then have the opening to just say it as it is and go because im an atheist.. If he goes mad say i respect your faith you respect mine

You can tell him that you simply do not follow the church doctrine .
Basically if you ever had any faith , you would know that Jesus did not preach the hate that is out there.

What they preach and what Jesus spoke about do not match.
That always is a wonderful eye opening conversation.

be careful.

the first person I came out to was my best friend and after i told her, she started saying shit about me behind my back. so choose wisely.

jaxc Wrote:no this isn't about my sexuality. Recently though, i been questioning a lot of things and i'm finding myself leaning more & more away from my religious beliefs and for the most part can safely say i am mostly atheist and strangely, not telling my dad this is bothering me more than anything elseRolleyes, so any advice on how to come out to him( as a atheist)?

Becareful And choose you words very carefully because when I told my dad he kicked me out because I did not follow church doctrine. We are a LDS family if that means anything to you.