Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...or Decline to Answer?
Broham's mother is a registrar at the local community college, and he told me tonight that starting summer quarter in the state of Washington, newly registering students will be asked if they are gay, straight, or if they decline to answer. Broham's mother, along with a panel of other registrars, turned down the proposal, brought in by an LGBT group, but the group went to a higher authority that clearly didn't understand the ramifications of such information, and the proposal is now a reality.

My take is also that this is not a good idea, but for different reasons than the registrars had for turning it down. My perspective is that a student will answer "straight" for two reasons: they are either straight, or in the closet. A student will select "gay" for two reasons: they are out and proud, or naive and intend to reinvent themselves in college. Apparently, there is no room on this digital online registration survey for bi, trans, queer, or whatever the rest of that acronym is for, if it's that really long one.

Any other perspective on this? I'm mad. They opened Pandora's box, and I want to slap the little bitch.

tick all the boxes, problem solved

I would lead a revolution and decline to answer. no body's business and inappropriate to ask anyone that sort of question. That information is for one to share with family and friends.

Besides, how will it change the way that education is provided?

Is this a question for statistical loggin? Because I know that happens quite alot, even for irrelevant things. Just yesterday a form I had to fill out to participate in a first aid course required me to identify my ethnic background for statistical info.

I'm confused what's happening here. lol sorry I wasn't helpful at all xD

I think it is against Federal guidelines to require such questions to be answered.

If its required I hope a few students are studying law and make it a big stinking deal.

I would refuse to answer, but then you are looking at the white guy who when asked what is race or ethnicity is I pencil in 'unknown'...

Perhaps all the kids need to answer that question with 'Unknown' and really screw with some heads?

I'm also paranoid enough to believe that all of this current gay tolerance is just to draw us out so it makes it easier to round us up for the Death Camps. So my opinion may not really matter, it may be the ramblings of a paranoid personality.

you have to forgive the mid aged do-gooders.
They feel either you are gay or straight and it makes a big difference.

I myself would decline to answer. If a selection must be made, select straight.

That is privileged information and will be divulged on a need to know basis. My opinion is that they don't need to know.

I recently just came out, (late bloomer) so at your age, if I had selected straight, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Lastly, WHY do they even want to know? It's not like you're going to a full university and they will be giving out student loans based on sexual orientation!

Why would they want to know? I imagine a lot of young people haven't made their mind up anyway.

I would decline and make noise......nobody else's business.

Mick

Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't mention this is the survey at the b beginning of registration (male, female, black, white, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, all that g good stuff). So it's not compulsory to answer, but it's still foolish to include.