Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help me out here :)
hey there,
can you help me out on something ?
me and my lover -if i can call him that Tongue- we are looking for ways to be together , he's in the US in Chicago he lives there now.. we're thinking that i go there but I'm not a citizen .. he is though,
so if we get married there can i be a permanent resident in the US? so i can be able to stay there..
Thanks Smile Smile Smile

gayspeak. com/showthread.php?t=38171
this is my old thread about 3-4 months ago .. yep he's the same person Smile

Looks like you can get the permission of the US Gov to get a marriage based green card...

https://www.uscis.gov/family/same-sex-marriages

I would have your partner hire a good lawyer if you go this route.

i read it it's useful thank you Smile
but the thing is if i go to the US with a visa for studying and the marriage occurs there in the States .. then I'll be a permanent resident there as his spouse not on the study visa right ?
i mean my visa will change when i marry him there to be sponsored by him as his spouse there rather than my study visa ?

The internet be a great source of info sometimes...

https://iss.washington.edu/marrying-citizen

Quote:Marriage to a U.S. citizen alone does not grant you any immigration benefits. It will likely make you eligible for immigration benefits, but you must file the necessary paperwork with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in order to secure the right to remain in the United States.

You will have to get your visa changed, it's not automatic. Consult an immigration lawyer when the time comes.

More info, and a forum specifically about immigration issues...

http://www.immihelp.com/forum/archive/in...36478.html

thank you so much Smile
I am really going to study there i care for my education as well as being with the one i love so if i can have both.
Big Grin

You need to hire an immigration attorney in the US to help you through the process. It is doable, but it takes a long time. You will need to make some friends who can vouch at the legitimacy of your marriage and relationship. I did this for some friends of mine.

aha so they're gonna question the legitimacy of our marriage? well we're doing it in the US because we cannot in my country not just because of our rules but also I'd probably get killed lol .. so secrecy is the thing here .. nobody knows about this except me , him and you guys
they can ask us about each other all they want maybe then they can be certain if our marriage is legit

sam Wrote:aha so they're gonna question the legitimacy of our marriage? well we're doing it in the US because we cannot in my country not just because of our rules but also I'd probably get killed lol .. so secrecy is the thing here .. nobody knows about this except me , him and you guys
they can ask us about each other all they want maybe then they can be certain if our marriage is legit

It's also proving that you didn't obtain a student visa with the intent of not getting an education and instead just got married instead.

Yes, they will verify the legitimacy of your marriage, as they do with all couples when one is not a US citizen. The word of the two of you definitely factors into the verification, but you will be asked to provide letters from friends in the US as well.

You do not want your relationship to be a secret in the US. You want to live a normal out life as a gay couple and make friends as an out gay couple.

Again, you absolutely need legal help from an immigration attorney who specializes in this and has a good track record of success in this area. Start saving up, because it will be costly, and it will take several years. It is doable if you keep at it and have the right assistance.