Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
% that identifty as a gay man
pellaz Wrote:current thinking is the ladies are half to one third the gay male population

do you mean the gay population ?

cuz last i checked , i wasn't part of the male population at all ...

pellaz Wrote:We are not the 10% we thought we were, they lied back in the 1940's

Maybe not, because the Masters and Johnson survey or the Kinsery report talked about the 10% of the population who'd had sex with their own gender, which could range from any sort of activity.... therefore making it likely that there was about 10% of the population who indulged either in bisexual activity or same sex activity at any point in their lives... Remember that the Kinsey scale went from 1 to 6 with various degrees of same sex attraction. Again there are those who have sex with their own sex and don't consider themselves gay, and those who consider themselves gay who've probably never actually had sex with anyone... Not to mention all the closeted cases. I don't think the numbers are skewed. It's also the fact that here, they are asking how people relate to their own sexuality, it doesn't ask them what sexual practices they have... just what they'd call themselves, or how they'd label themselves.

I think he means they are numbered to equal about half to one third of the gay male population, Megumi. (ie if there are 100,000 gay males, there would be the equivalent of 33,333 to 50,000 Lesbians)

Pix Wrote:Lesbians were looked for as well, but no one asked me.

Offhand I can't recall ever being polled (not counting anonymous internet polls) that wasn't trying to sell something, market research (so they could sell me something later on), or with ulterior political motives. And I don't know anybody in real life who has been polled either. Mix in that more than one person busted for inventing stats from imaginary polls (including very respected and still quoted despite being busted) and I just find myself skeptical of the whole thing.

I think that Pennsylvania is becoming a really important voting bellweather.

I was contacted once just before the election in a huge survey by a major company and in a couple days heard the survey being discussed on all the major news channels. They did ask about gay marriage and a lot of social questions. I mostly use a land line, am disabled so am home a lot and I do think that it came up as a survey on the text in the window.

Another survey I did about a month ago was for state politics even though the election is two years away!!! It was also a very detailed survey with very in depth questions! I had to ask the guy to repeat the questions over and over again - the questions were really complex!

I was told by the first surveyors that they may call me back for a follow up. I think that is what they do as well.

fjp999 Wrote:Those are some weird numbers. I am pretty sure they are still not using cell phones and just land lines (but not 100% on this) and as the population with only land lines is probably much older and less likely to be honest in such a poll than a cell phone poll of a younger group... I just dont know???

Exactly. The cell phone is the new norm. I know lots of people that don't even have land lines anymore and rely strictly on the cell phone.

I would be more interested in a simple yes/no survey that asked, "Are you living a lie with your sexual identity?"