Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unnesecary cliche love storys
IN MOVIES…

I was looking at a dvd of a film called emperor with tommy lee jones, its about the occupation of japan immediately after the WWII surrender… an interesting premise!

So as with most modern films i googled it "rotten tomatoes"

and this what it said… " this film could almost be good if not for the unesecary cliched love story"

This immediately sounded familiar and i didnt buy the dvd…

So many movies do this, its almost like an unwritten rule and im sick of it… like every single story has involved a romance between a man and a woman

Its not a gay thing either, ive heard straight people talk about it

Not all filmmakers do it and they seem wise to it but theres idiots rolling out this tired cliche in every single film even if its not much relevant to the movie or good in any way, just like an afterthought… oh we need a romance, just stick it in there!

And that is why I watch war/history documentaries and not war/history movies,

Most of the movies are just idiotic

yeah..

I think it's mainly so that couples could both go and watch the movie.
It has something for the guy and the girl could enjoy the cheesy romance bits
and in turn selling more tickets.

But just my two cents Wink

southbiochem Wrote:And that is why I watch war/history documentaries and not war/history movies,

Most of the movies are just idiotic
!

Couldnt agree more

Almost every war film has to have some kind of central love story, except a few, its pathetic, as if EVERY young man in WWI had a sweetheart at home, i prefer war documentaries also

gay films are worse than mainstream ones for the whole 'happy ever after' cliché - I know a bit of happiness is nice once in a while but I can't stand sentimental rubbish. There are so many clichéd gay rom-coms out there its nauseating. Don't get me wrong - gay films can be good but I am not into nonsense like The Weekend (A very sentimental British gay movie) and Presque Rien (A French gay film meaning 'Nearly Nothing').

I prefer gay films which have more of a plot or twist. Throw in a character with amnesia, a foreign setting, more plot twists than a pot of spaghetti... and I am much happier!

I must say "weekend" is the only gay film i’ve seen, i kind of liked it, my impression was gay films were,nt sentimental and this film was more uncynical, i mean yes it was sentimental but i think it was meant to be and even on those moments, like the very cliche ending of the kiss on the train platform had its realism, some yobs hoot & whistle, make queer jeers right at the most romantic moment… that was my favourite scene and totally uncynical but not unbelievable or idealised.

Tulloni Wrote:gay films are worse than mainstream ones for the whole 'happy ever after' cliché - I know a bit of happiness is nice once in a while but I can't stand sentimental rubbish. There are so many clichéd gay rom-coms out there its nauseating. Don't get me wrong - gay films can be good but I am not into nonsense like The Weekend (A very sentimental British gay movie) and Presque Rien (A French gay film meaning 'Nearly Nothing').

I prefer gay films which have more of a plot or twist. Throw in a character with amnesia, a foreign setting, more plot twists than a pot of spaghetti... and I am much happier!

I think the cheesiness is about the same for both straight and gay movies.

Nicholas Sparks movies and any move with Rachel McAdams in it are
pretty much made out of mozzarella sticks.

There's a movie called 'Meltdown', it's about a lesbian couple; one works at a nuclear
reactor that is about to explode and one is about to prepare for an incoming storm that is
about to hit her island home. Haha, I might actually give this a go xD

Yah, sometimes it ruins a good plot...

Maybe some directors just want to make it appealing to some audience (cause most people like romance) to the point it's already inappropriate and corny

Ok im not talking about a Nick sparks movie or a romance or even a well thought out love story in a thriller or horror, im talking about really unnesecary romances that do not contribute to the film in any way and you feel nothing for the characters… its just there just for the sake of being there.

^ yah true...

Stick to the plot. If romance is not needed, get rid of it