Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
votting
marshlander Wrote:Much as I like and respect you on here, Baz, I would not knowingly vote for a dictator Wink

Dictator??? How am i a dictator for not being scared of people??

albabonzai Wrote:He made Britain great by fostering a spirit within Britain that made us win a world war and still keep together as a nation all by ourselves.

Much as I would like that to be true, we only won the war with a truely massive amount of help from the Yanks. Churchill certainly knew a lot about how to be Prime minister when there was a clear and imminent danger of invasion and destruction of our nation, I am, sadly, not convinced he would have much to offer us now.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Much as I would like that to be true, we only won the war with a truely massive amount of help from the Yanks. Churchill certainly knew a lot about how to be Prime minister when there was a clear and imminent danger of invasion and destruction of our nation, I am, sadly, not convinced he would have much to offer us now.

WE WOULD HAVE MANAGED WITHOUT THEM!

The fact though is that the times have changed and the political situation is different. Things have become increasingly complex in the economy and in the social sphere. The United Kindgom does not appear to be as united now and maybe it's because there isn't a war going on that threatens it directly. The country was not so diverse then as it is now. Unity would be more difficult to reach.
What a country generally needs is someone with vision and foresight, which doesn't always happen in politics.

I think apathy is the scariest threat we all face and I also beleive silence=death so I would never even consider not voting....
'
..in California it was sad that so many people who could have helped with marraige equality simply didn't vote because......(insert list of reasons)...they didn't use their voice when it mattered and we lost ours because of it.

eastofeden Wrote:I think apathy is the scariest threat we all face and I also beleive silence=death so I would never even consider not voting....
'
..in California it was sad that so many people who could have helped with marraige equality simply didn't vote because......(insert list of reasons)...they didn't use their voice when it mattered and we lost ours because of it.

I would vote in that circumstance! But we do it slightly diff over here dude!

Still, some people get quite jaded with politics and elections and don't see how their vote counts. But as Fred says, you can't really complain when you haven't used your right to vote even if it is only to spoil your bulletin.

albabonzai Wrote:WE WOULD HAVE MANAGED WITHOUT THEM!

I'm sorry Baz we would not. We couldn't even produce enough Merchant ships to import the food and raw materials we needed.

eastofeden Wrote:I think apathy is the scariest threat we all face and I also beleive silence=death so I would never even consider not voting....
'

I am afraid I disagree. People quickly cease to be apathetic when they have a reason to. People did not vote against Prop. 8 because, as far as they were concerned, it did not affect them, their rights were not in jeopardy.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I'm sorry Baz we would not. We couldn't even produce enough Merchant ships to import the food and raw materials we needed.

You have been mislead! Its all american propaganda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv3b
I'm sorry Baz we would not. We couldn't even produce enough Merchant ships to import the food and raw materials we needed.
You have been mislead! Its all american propaganda!

Fredv3b is actually right Baz. the U.K was going to starve into submission if they weren't getting U.S help with food and oil. The U.K try'ed everything like getting food from the U.K colonies but most of them were intercepted and destroyed by the German armies. even normal cargo ships were being rebuilt to get food and oil from the colonies. + Churchill requested many times for the U.S to help.