Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vpn on a comcast account
for the IT geeks:
ok the old thread is closed, all good.

get the cable modem to pass the vpn pptp to the home network gateway
i finally got the vpn working on my mac 1.6 server. My internet provider (ComCast) had the cable modem (SMCd3g) turned off for vpn-pptp. They own and control the cable modem, I can only partially modify its settings. I called and in a million words or more they finally turned the bit for me. Like talking to a box of rocks is ComCast.

install a vpn pptp server at home:
i enabled it in my broad band router which is located right after the cable modem. In this spot it will view my whole home network. The cable modem will pass through the vpn signal to the router's ip gateway address, into the server. Again you have to setup the protocol type = pptp, the ip address of how it appears inside the home network, password and user name. I think ipSec is a stronger vpn protocol but pptp is all that my router had in its firmware.

from the iPhone
The iPhone's sys preferences; the setup for vpn pptp is not rigorous. just input the destination ip address and than the ip address of how the vpn channel will appear on inside the destination network. Password, username and thats it.
i use a $10.00 app iTeleport to emulate a realVN viewer. Start the VPN on the iPhone, use the manual setup on the iTeleport app. This app has a effective but elaborate auto setup but dont go there (it works very well tho for none vpn systems).

form another mac:
the realVNC screen sharing server is completely busted on 10.7 and in fact somewhat dangerous to use. So my home server is 10.6 and it's screen sharing server less busted and tends to work, enable screen sharing, set this colors = many colors and some other odd dance act to get it to work. Do a google for how people are doing this. Install realVNC viewer on the 10.7portable. I can goto a coffee shop and access the home server through the vpn pptp link.

l can only recommend googling it or alternatively try yahoo answers as ive found some aspects of IT there