Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm new to the forum and have some questions about Homosexuality....
Welcome to GS, George.

I think your concern is genuine especially knowing your brother's possible reaction. However, I do think you have stereotypical views of homosexuality that do a disservice to your nephew. In spite of what you are lead to believe most of us are not flamboyant but rather average guys. We just bond and fall in love with other men.

Now, I don't want to scare you but you may also want to read up on transgender to get an even boarder view. Meet Jackie. I would be lying if I said your description of your nephew didn't remind me of Jackie's story.

My only other thought is, does your nephew have sisters? He could be doing nothing more than relating to female characters more. He may just be very innocently enjoying the colors and characters. So, I wouldn't go overboard in looking for answers, I would let nature take it's course. But I would educate myself on possibilities.

I don't find your post offensive at all because if your nephew does identify as gay or transgender, he is going to need you to tell him it's ok and that you love him no matter what. You may save his life just by quietly being there.

You know, next time he makes one of those characters and you're around, maybe say, hey, I kind of like that or something. The silence is want hurts so badly because I'll tell you honestly, I was beating myself up and hating myself just fine on my own on the inside. But none of the silence or ignoring made any of it go away, I'm still gay. Maybe even buy a pink shirt for yourself and YOU wear it to his birthday party or something. It's the silence that later becomes so deadly.

To answer your questions about myself: I definitely knew I was gay around 10 years old. I never exhibited any behavior like your nephew as I am more into sports and music; mechanically inclined. And, I hate pink! :biggrin:

I give you props for trying. And, I'm sure I have some stereotypical notions about heterosexuals, too. :tongue: Best wishes to your nephew and your family.

Messages In This Thread
I'm new to the forum and have some questions about Homosexuality.... - by azulai - 08-16-2012, 03:44 AM