Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications
I went to college straight out of high school, chose to major in Computer Science and Information Systems, with a few summer classes for Spanish (which I barely passed,) I was able to graduate with my degree in just 4 years. 3.8 GPA in my major, 3.1 overall. The only real experience I had in high school with computers was messing around on the couple of Apple II's (II's, not II+) they had in the back of one of the math classes. I had excellent grades in math, did very well in math on the SAT. One of our math teachers pointed me in the direction of programming, my other thoughts at the time were automotive engineer (loved to draw and design cars,) or the military service.

So, I sorta lucked into a career for which my mindset is perfectly suited. Logical, a problem solver, able to quickly follow other peoples work, able to solve mathematical proofs in innovative ways. A most favored memory from college was our math professor in Abstract Algebra putting up one of my proofs to show how there was always more than one way to "skin a cat." Many of the students in that class used my tutoring services that year, and I ran a study group.

Now, there is great value in getting a degree, the knowledge I learned about computers, programming, systems, and how to structure everything was invaluable. My parents paid for probably half my education, I got maybe a third as grants or work study, and then had loans for the rest. The loan payment was reasonable, so except for several lean years, I was able to make the payments.

Now, if what you are interested in doing is more the programming, database, or front end design, don't go for a degree. Learn what you need to as far as languages, databases, tools, and methodologies. You can take online courses, night classes (look for continuing ed,) or even college courses. Then get the certifications which "prove" you know the material.

Want to know what you need as far as certifications go, look for jobs you're interested in on the big job posting sites.

The benefit of doing things this way are, lower entry cost into the job marketplace, and quicker entry into the job marketplace. You also don't have to pay for classes which, while they may broaden you as a person, aren't going to help you get a job. Much as I loved my time in school, and the classically liberal education that I got, I wouldn't saddle myself with that much debt. You end up finishing school and being in a great big hole of debt.

This is the advice I'm giving my son as well, I really don't think he has the focus he would need to survive 4-5 years at a college. He is a smart kid, but his ADHD is a hinderance to his academic achievement. Something that focuses him on just what he needs to get a career will be better suited for him. YMMV of course, and this is only my opinion. I was also honored to have a guy I dated choose to go for a CS degree because of me. According to him, I "was implicate in that decision."

I've known plenty of programmers in my 30 year career. Some of the best were self-taught, or only had a smattering of programming classes.

Now, if you are thinking of going for teaching, that's a whole other ball of wax. I've been considering going for a teaching degree, and after chatting with you (axle) about wgu I looked up their requirements. They aren't to awful, and I may actually consider it. I'd probably be comfortable teaching math and computer science at the middle and high school levels.

I can post some resources which can help with the learning side of things when I have more time. Got to get to sleep now, have to be up at 5:45 am so I can get the kid to school, and my roommate to work, before coming back home and working in my home office.

Messages In This Thread
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by kindy64 - 12-01-2016, 05:36 AM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by SilverBullet - 12-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by JohnMusic - 12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications - by JohnMusic - 12-01-2016, 05:55 PM