Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior
Hi Guys

As some of you guys probably know I like to run in the morning. I always run past this one particular house, which is guarded by two German Shepherds. One is white (Splotchy) and another one is dark chocolate. I notice the owner doesn't take care of the dogs very well. The dogs are dirty, look sad and kind of unhealthy (Particularly the white one. It has reddish eyes). The owner likes to let the dogs out for a few hours. He let them wander in front of the house by themselves. That's where they pee and poo too.

Now I've been running past this house since year 2009. The white one barked at me on the first month on 2009. But he eventually stopped. Both of the German Shepherd like to sit and watch me run from behind the house gate.

Last year, I stumbled into both of them wandering outside the house. To be safe, I stopped running and walked slowly. The dark chocolate German Shepherd approached me slowly and started to snug/rub his head and body on my legs. The white one just sat and watched his brother. I responded by patting and stroking his head gently. I continued my run after patting the dog for a few minutes. The dark chocolate German Shepherd followed me from behind for few steps and then turned back to his house.

Nowadays the white German Shepherd is no longer hesitant to approach me. But I notice he only becomes comfortable after being 'convinced' by the dark chocolate one.

This morning I stumbled into both of them. As usual the dark chocolate German Shepherd approached me first. The white one followed him from behind. I patted the dark chocolate dog. Suddenly he 'stood up' and tried to give me a hug. He rested his two front paws on my chest. Did his best to balance himself. Once he lost his balance, he stood up again to gave me another hug. In total, he tried to hug me four times. The white one also tried to stand and hug me. I maybe wrong but both of them always look excited when they see me. Particularly today.

Were they really excited to see me or were they just displaying their dominance behavior? They didn't try to bite my face.

Note that I discovered a dead cat in front that house (close to the gate) few months ago. The cat stomach was ripped apart with guts hanging out. I had no idea who did it. Those two dogs or other dogs.

So any advice? Should I continue to pat them if they approach me or should I avoid them by changing my route? Any kind of help is much appreciated.

Note: I don't know much about dogs compare to cats as I am actually forbid to touch and interact with dogs due to culture, race and religion. But since I'm gay and going to end up in hell, I might as well play with dogs.

Messages In This Thread
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by fenris - 09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by dfiant - 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by pellaz - 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by dfiant - 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM