Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"We begin bombing in five minutes"
Earlier today I got to talking with a couple of friends about Romney's stupid lines (from not opening windows on flying planes to cold fusion to...well to list everything would be TLDR). Some say this is actually just dry humor on Romney's part. We have a hard time believing that, and we've all noticed that when the more hardcore conservatives think they're among themselves they have a tendency to say things bluntly but when in mixed company say they don't mean that at all (and/or they're practicing some kind of doublethink, not absolutely sure).

Anyway we got to talking about how maybe Republicans just don't have a good sense of humor and commented on the lack of conservative comedians (at least those that are funny)...even the few who are funny at times tend to be cruel (granted, American humor in general tends to be cruel to someone but they put on the brass knuckles before they begin punching, and why not their target audience publicly cheers at the thought of letting someone without insurance die). I mentioned reading about Reagan saying they outlawed Russia and would begin bombing in 15 minutes (so I was 10 minutes off, it was over 10 years ago when I read it) and I thought that was funny. They hadn't heard of it so I said I'd look it up and send them a link. And I did a few hours ago

And when I imagined Reagan saying that I was imagining a tone of voice like you'd hear in South Park (that is no way could you take it serious), but hearing the audio he sounded very serious (even if there was someone laughing in the background):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_begin_bo...ve_minutes

How he actually said it wasn't how I imagined it. And it occurred to me if Romney or Bush and especially Perry or Bachmann said something like that (and in that tone of voice) I'd have to wonder if they were serious...and the Cold War isn't even going on anymore (granted, Romney doesn't know that). And I'm wondering...how did America react when that happened? And would it seem scary or a lot scarier if say a President Romney said that? :confused:

(Too bad that didn't come out in time for Atomic Cafe as that would've been PERFECT for it.)

Messages In This Thread
"We begin bombing in five minutes" - by Pix - 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM
"We begin bombing in five minutes" - by Bowyn Aerrow - 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
"We begin bombing in five minutes" - by zeon - 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM
"We begin bombing in five minutes" - by Blue - 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
"We begin bombing in five minutes" - by pellaz - 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM