Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers
I have to wonder if this event really took place, or if your therapist gave you the suggestion and now your brain is piecing together an interesting story.

I have repressed memories and I have more than a few recovered memories. I didn't have a therapist to start the recalling, that happened on its own.

When I told my therapist about my difficulties with recalling a large chunk of my childhood (from mid 8 to mid 12) and I explained some of the things I had been going through in the recalling department, the therapist left the room and brought in another therapist and they checked and balanced each other to make certain they were not making suggestions for me to follow and piece together a story from.

You need to call your therapist and explain to her what just happened.

You also need to google Repressed Memories - there is a lot of controversy on the subject, most of that is due to how therapists have failed to handle these situations and how 'false memories' can easily be planted.

Sexual abuse as a child can have an impact on your sexuality. Not everyone is born gay, a few are actually 'made'. Sexual abuse, trauma, rape - these sorts of things can actually turn a straight person gay, or a gay person straight. Depending on the abuser and their gender in relation to the gender of the victim.

Women have been known to have been abused by a male or more than one male and end up seeking the comfort of a women. Not because they are 'gay' but because there is a human need for intimacy.

It is better known with women because women more readily report abuse/rape than men. Thus follow up of such cases is easier.

This is not the same thing as being gay. This is a compromise type situation where out of fear of being hurt, or out of a strong need for love, the person seeks the comfort of the same gender.

Did this happen to you? Possibly. Are you now recovering memories? I don't know. You do need to make certain that if this is repressed memories coming to the forefront of your mind that you have more than just one professional person dealing with it.

Messages In This Thread
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by ElfiexElfSeeker - 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by dfiant - 06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by ElfiexElfSeeker - 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by dfiant - 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by zeon - 06-30-2012, 09:09 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by ElfiexElfSeeker - 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by Pix - 06-30-2012, 10:58 PM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by Rainbowmum - 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by Bowyn Aerrow - 07-01-2012, 02:59 AM
The Dreaded Memory Has Arisen/ Possible Triggers - by ElfiexElfSeeker - 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM