Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers - doing what you love versus the money?
Personally I always went for things that made me happy(ier) than for the money.

Understand I'm a content person who is more content with less than more. I live in a house that is only 450 square feet, The whole thing can fit into the main living space of most of the suburban cardboard boxes that are built today.

I don't own the 2 acres that that house sits on. I actually tend the property (mow it, water it, planted lots of trees and stuff). Its a good situation, the owner allows me to do a lot of things, such as installing 3 more small koi ponds and planting a large vegetable garden. The vegetable garden has more square footage than the house. :tongue:

I drove a 1977 suburban for years, earlier this year it committed suicide, throwing a rod through its oil pan, sad story.

Currently I am in the transition phase from business owner to 'disabled pensioner'. I worked for a long time for myself as a small construction contractor. I would say handyman, but due to the many con artists and down right sick individuals in the trade the word handyman has gotten a bad rep.

Way back when mammoths ruled the earth (when I was about your age), I was in seminary and working through/with a friary with the intent of becoming a priest then a friar. A Friar is similar to a monk, robes, living in an order/commune/house and taking the Vows:L Celibacy, Obedience and Poverty. The only real difference is monks tend to enter seclusion, friars throw themselves out into the community and play active roles in various areas.

I did work in an office type situation (even as front desk clerk at hotels) - These jobs were not satisfying to me. I earned money, yes, but the whole process of pushing paper one day in order to empty your desk for more paper seems pointless to me. Its not like building or fixing something and stepping back to see that you have done something. It is really no where close to helping someone in need and stepping back and seeing, if only for a brief second, a smile on their face.

If in the next two years as I jump through hoops to demonstrate that yes I actually do rely on that cane more often than not, and yes I really am in that much pain that I need those pills and thus am technically unable to work, the economy improves and running a small construction business can make enough money to put food on the table, I will most likely opt out of SSI/SSD and go back into that line of work.

Truthfully, since my truck committed suicide (which was the final straw) I have been slowly going stir crazy. While I am medically 'disabled' and really medically 'deserving' of disability, mentally I am one of those people who are happiest doing something, yes even if it means it hurts - a lot.

Its not about the money for me, for me its about the satisfaction of doing something constructive, something that actually matters (to me at least) in some small way.

Messages In This Thread
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Blue - 08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Matty71 - 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Bowyn Aerrow - 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Pix - 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Lunar - 08-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by East - 08-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by princealbertofb - 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Lilitu - 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by princealbertofb - 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by archubbycub - 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by princealbertofb - 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Careers - doing what you love versus the money? - by Blue - 08-29-2012, 10:29 PM