Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A voting reform I'd like to see
Before I vote I read up on the measures to be voted on, including pros & cons and THEN I do further research to try to see past the disinfo and BS, which is really hard because lying & spin is a staple of politics. I also research the politicians to be voted on, and pay attention to their voting record more than their rhetoric. This typically takes me a few days, each day taking me an hour or even hours.

And then I vote and get my sticker. And then other people with a sticker brag to me about voting but then demonstrate that they have no real knowledge of the candidates they voted for or the issues...once a guy bragged he decided IN THE BOOTH how he was going to vote on an issue (measure) and politician.

I also experience people all the time who are passionate about candidates who have a completely false view of the ones they support. I've gotten into some surreal conversations as a result. That is, they think they're voting for someone who is completely different than they are and even a simple visit to VoteSmart would clue them in on it, but no, they're too lazy to do even that.

And when I joined a gun range that range took the liberty to put my name on several conservative (including anti-gay) mailing lists (without telling me, it was only after I got a friend to join up and she started getting the same crap that I realized it was them, especially as they sent it all to my PO Box, which was the only mailing address I gave the shooting range on my member ap). This included super dumbed down (and deceptive) "facts" with explicit instructions on how to vote. Seriously, one was actually a tear out section (easily put in a pocket) that clearly marked "yes/no" on all measures on the state ballot that you were to just take in and vote if you were a Republican (like I said, I was confused why the California Republican Party sent me that until I figured out it was the gun range who put me on their mailing list). And if people really vote like that, then, well, I don't care if they're insulted when I say they shouldn't be allowed to vote. And if they can't bother to learn even the basic real facts (as opposed to the spin and outright lies of their choice of propaganda), then why should they be allowed to vote anyway?

And let me add that I'd be ok with lowering the voting age to 15 and very strongly support the right of convicted felons who have served their time to vote...as long as they prove themselves worthy by showing basic awareness of propaganda, manipulation tactics, and willingness to study the candidates and issues before voting.

Messages In This Thread
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Pix - 09-03-2012, 05:16 AM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Blue - 09-03-2012, 05:53 AM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Pix - 09-03-2012, 06:48 AM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Blue - 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Bowyn Aerrow - 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by ceez - 09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Pix - 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Pix - 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Blue - 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by East - 09-04-2012, 12:07 AM
A voting reform I'd like to see - by Lunar - 09-04-2012, 02:19 AM