Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior
Thank you Blue, Fen, Daz and Pellaz. I learned a lot from every post. Dogs sound more complicated than cats.

Quote:If you ever decide to bring them a toy or treat, make sure you give it to the darker one first. He's the Alpha of the two and, by dog rules, he gets the good things first. He would take it away form the white one if he didn't get his share or get to hold the toy first. And do keep petting him first, thier rules say he has to accept you before the white one can.

Quote:Dog-chocolate can be a help .... give them some chocolate but ONLY after you give them the order to sit down..... they learn it. And so they know that you are a friend... higher in the rank... but not a danger.

Is it a smart move to bring toy or food to these dogs since I am not the owner? As much as I don't like how these dogs being treated, I don't want to trespass the 'owner's territory'.

Quote:They see you as a part of their pack or family. That's good, just make them stay with all fours on the ground, not only does it insure they can't knock you over and remind them you re the boss, it's bad manners for a dog to "hug" people and, doing so could get them in trouble with their owner.

Quote:Important is : NEVER show them any fear... If you show fear in front of a dog you are out. Strong voice.... on unknown dogs never at eye level ... always stop, do not run, do not squat down. Talk to them as you are their owner.

Quote:Dogs are creatures of habit, and your habit of running past them has become their habit, in essence you have become part of their routine. Dogs also need discipline for their own good, so I would suggest you give them a low growl as you push them away when they try to jump on you. So basically, you need to place yourself in the role of Alpha male now that they have welcomed you into their pack. ;-)

I wasn't scared when the dark chocolate dog hugged me. Was surprised but wasn't scared. I stared directly into his eyes. Then he lost his balance and 'fell'. Then he climbed back and fell again. I took the opportunity to walk away from both dogs when the dark chocolate dog lost his balance. The dark chocolate dog continued to follow me and rub himself around my legs. But I ignored and walked away. I said bye to them though.

So correct me if I'm wrong, I need to push the chocolate dog away if he tries to hug me again? I assume push him away slowly and gently?

And Daz, giving a low growl as in making dog sound?

Quote:unless you want to take on the dogs and be responsible for them i would avoid them. Its sad to see people who dont take care of things but possession is nine tenths of the claim. Nothing to say the owner has to be a decent provider for his animals.

Clinically speaking there are not a lot of diseases that can bridge species. The proof to this is we eat meat with success. Sorry about your culture and thinking. In any population of humans there has to be a social stop to limit the dog population, lots of issues with un wanted dogs here. And again sad to see thousands of dogs put to death because they are un wanted.

Be careful with your love, let it be unless you can step up.

No, I'm not planning to adopt them. I just pat them whenever I stumble into them. So is it best to avoid them all at once? I fear too much interaction will create a closer attachment between the dogs and me. As Fen, Blue and Daz have said, they already accepted me into their pack. I don't want them to be too close to me as I am not their owner.

Thanks for responding to my questions, Blue, Fen, Daz and Pellaz. Very much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by fenris - 09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by dfiant - 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by pellaz - 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Blue - 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by Jay - 09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior - by dfiant - 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM