Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion
Now y'all know perhaps by now that I tend to get very heated when it comes to certain topics, fair warning m'kay? Sheep I'm truely am sorry if I offend anyone, I'm severely irate however, so I'm probably just gonna go straight off my head on this one ><Msn-slapping

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Now look, I've been unemployed since about end of October, complications finding a new job, blah blah, local bullshit.

However, what I can't stand, is that one of the very complications, has to do with who a person is and how they choose to represent themselves aside from their work persona.

Firstly Watch this video if you may, it will pretty much sum up all that I really want to say without getting "into it" and how I feel on this very vexing aspect of both my current predicament and for all other job seekers out there.

Now, I do realize this is a black person and incident, however this applies to all people, gay, straight, white, latin, purple, left-handed, whatever!

Why is it that it's found okay for this to be a condition for hiring or firing someone? If that person brings their shit to work or takes shit home from work they shouldn't, then yeah, I understand then, but how is it okay to judge someone before they even get seriously considered for the job without personal background checks?

Luckily, for most jobs here we don't do that to my knowledge, however, for many of the jobs(in particular that I would like to apply for - Hospitality/Hotels) require certain prerequisites, the most prominent one for me is;
Male Dress Code:
No visible Piercings - Check
No visible Tattoos - Check
Facial Hair Must be kept trimmed/short - Ofcourse check!
Hair must be kept above ear length - What the fuck??

That's almost for every hotel here or place that does hospitality related things, and it's just so odd to me.

Many men here wear their hair short, granted, but as Island people (and even for some "Mainlanders - Americans/S.American/etc) we tend to be into Dreadlocks, I'd even wager to say amoungst our fairly modest 50-60,000 population(of which half is considered "Expat/Foreigner/Short term Residential) a good 20-30% of men(and women obviously) wear them.

It's unavoidable, whether it be for the Rasta Religion(which is not why I have them, but could be viewed similar), which is of course popular here, or just for a favoured style or whatever, I fail to see why such a Rule is like the make or break point?

Sure you pretty much have to see my hair, unless I wear a Tam which is considered a non-uniform article and so is generally not acceptable at work, as a opposed to a Tattoo that can be hidden or Piercings that can be removed, but it's not as if tho they detail the person that I am or speak of my ability as a worker or whatever.

In my eyes and many other like minded people, it literally has no connection to my ability to work or what I know, other than the fact that they are connected to me. That's it.

People who do not have an attachment to their hair or anything that is considered to be a "deal breaker", will most likely never understand what I mean or why I feel the way I do, but I just think that, like being Gay, Black, White, Lesbian or whatever shouldn't be a deal breaker, why are other very minor things such as one's preferred hair style or whatever be viewed so detrimentally?

Why not hire/fire upon one's ability as a worker and less on how they look or who they fuck?

and I don't get why, if you're considered "acceptable" despite your commonality with someone who isn't, that you feel that that person should be more like you or acceptable in general? Such as with "butch" gays or "Campy" ones, where the former is considered far more seriously than the latter, even tho the latter may know more and be more skilled in the area more so than the "butch" one.

Fuck all that, I think that atleast with Jobs, they need to be a lil more fair on how they operate, world wide.

It's like they're purposefully trying not to hire you for any reason, unless you fit their description of a good worker, without actually trying to ascertain the true level of aptitude of the person.

I'm just so annoyed and fed up at this point with jobs, I can now really see why some people actually wanna be "kept" by others. It ain't easy :crying-and-sorry-li [/COLOR]

Messages In This Thread
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Sylph - 03-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Kackerlacka - 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by MisterTinkles - 03-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Pix - 03-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Bowyn Aerrow - 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Woollyhats - 03-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by loserguy - 03-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Sylph - 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Zet - 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Sylph - 03-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Discrimination[Jobs] - Rant/Opinion - by Sylph - 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM