Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrested for falling for another woman
LONDONER Wrote:It wasn't a poke at South America Insertanameher, it's just that in the last few years the majority of European countries have embraced the idea of the fact that love doesn't just exist between men and women exclusively. To deny someone's right to love another person is to deny their human rights.

Yes, I understand the story well and the intention behind the post Londoner, don't worry.

Mine wasn't some sort of afront on Europeans. I spoke rashly and failed to give a context to my comment.

If I care to explain myself a bit, it's the phrase you used "not everyone has it as well as Europe"which I get was very well intented towards generating conscience, but at the same time it brings up in my memory similar phrases used to impose Eurocentrism and concepts of superiority in extremely condescending ways, all of those used to rationalize colonization, which have left their dear mark in the colonized places.

"Europe is better in many ways" is something that we already know and acknowledge, it's no news to us that we in developing countries are heavily flawed in many ways.

meridannight Wrote:Europeans don't claim to be perfect and flawless (we aren't). but we are the most liberal culture, with values like personal freedom at their zenith expression here and strongly incorporated into our collective consciousness and way of life.

i don't disagree that the European civilization has exported some of its worst to other cultures (China is a prime example). Europe did have its darker period, as we all know. the difference is, we got our shit together, owned up to our mistakes, and corrected them.

it is highly ironic that the European immigrants to USA, for example, ended up establishing a more conservative society there than the one they left behind, now when all is said and done. some of the first emigrants fled Europe for religious persecution. and yet, in a prime twist of irony, religious conservatism took root in America, and not in Europe. and when Europe dug itself out of the mudhole, its progeny on the other side of the ocean failed to follow in its footsteps. it's funny how life turns out sometimes.

this said, i am very proud to be European, and the descendant of men who stayed true to Europe.

the history of Europe is in my blood.

You have adressed quite well some things that bother me quite a bit.

First, the view around here is in fact that "Europe can do no wrong" it's our own view, granted, whether imposed or self-developed, but our own nevertheless. That bothers me because said notion is untruthful, obviously. It doesn't bother me in the sense that acknowledging the better traits and try to emulate them is a proper way to go (ina very sui generis manner). After all I can tell you that here education and law-making is mainly French-influenced, military is German-influenced, administration is British-influenced etc etc etc. So yeah, there's quite a bit of fondness all across South America if not Latin America for anything Western European (at least in the first century after independence).

The second bit is the lack of on-par evolution of the colonized folks with respect to the motherlands. Spain seems to have dumped on us the worst traits they had back in the XVI century: misogyny, Catholicism, classism/racism etc but those were not overcome. Many elites here, modern and all in structure, follow the same predatory behavior of the original conquistadores. That is what pisses me off royally.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Messages In This Thread
Arrested for falling for another woman - by Insertnamehere - 01-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Arrested for falling for another woman - by ceez - 01-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Arrested for falling for another woman - by Pix - 01-31-2016, 04:03 AM
Arrested for falling for another woman - by Pix - 01-31-2016, 04:06 AM
Arrested for falling for another woman - by Emiliano - 01-31-2016, 06:08 PM