Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities
[MENTION=23369]Boaxy[/MENTION]

Thanks for you thoughtful and detailed reply. It sounds like an interesting area for sure and its nice to read that you are involved and feel involved in the local community. I think thats missing in a lot of areas, that sense of community, and how powerful of an effect it can have on the quality of an area.

All I know about LA is what I've seen in movies and tv shows, which when I apply that logic to NYC and how we are portrayed, I know it means that I know nothing about LA. But I have an idea of it as being more sprawly than dense - would you describe your area as dense? It sounds like it from your description. And it goes against another stereotype that I had of LA, that you'd need a car to get around.

You also describe your area as a hipster. When I hear the word hipster, being from Brooklyn, I immediately think gentrified. Would you describe your area as gentrified or gentrifying?

Also - how long have you lived in that area?

A few more things:

Quote: It's very racially diverse, but also divisive. The asians do business with asians and thrive there. The blacks usually stay in inner city areas and circulate with themselves. The hispanics have their own area and intermingle with them, and the whites are basically neutral and they they to stay away from trouble.

I thought this was particularly interesting for a couple of reasons. NYC is a lot like this too - very diverse as a whole, but in a sense, very segregated. And there's all sorts of reasons why that is, which make sense why people would self segregate like that.

Maybe its also because I've noticed how you write about race and your experiences as a black american, but I found it interesting how you describe white people as being neutral. How do you mean? What about them makes them a neutral force in the community, and what is that neutrality in opposition to that you see in the other racial groups?

Quote:Yes there is street culture. A lot of bad comes with it, and I have been apart of it being black.

I guess with street culture I meant the culture of the street, as in like, street life and the sorts of people you run into. Are there like regulars that you see all the time, people you maybe greet in a polite way, or get to know more? Or is that how you meant it, and I'm just misinterpreting your answer?

Messages In This Thread
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 10:41 PM