Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities
[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]

Not sure what you were asking there at first.

Be it that it produced the greater share of the country's GDP (pre-Panama Canal years) or that it was impoverished or that it's just hangin in there like now, poverty has always been there, usually located in the higher parts. But recently, crime (drug microtrafficking, armed aggression) has taken a hold on those particular locations. Whether induced by poverty or using poverty as an excuse.

About the second question, I meant that we all here know why. 9/11 has been a rather complicated anniversary for 43 years.

About street stuff, yes it's fairly organic, sometimes sponsored and organized, even, by the municipal authorities. I don't take graffiti (nor most of people here) as any form of culture, especially since it seems to be directed at monuments, historical buildings and private property. The desire behind it seems to be no more than vandalization. An alternative and a solution to this has been to allot public spaces so people can do murals. These have been quite successful and aesthetically pleasing. Goes well with the overall colorful trait of the city.

Your last question, I've been through several serious storms and one major earthquake. My house still stands, thankfully, I've only had to go by without basic services on said ocassions for 2-3 days. You get used to these things.

Your last comment is very on point, but both tourism (in the form of passenger vessels) and port activities rely on size and space, both of which are lacking here. Since the opening of the Panama canal the port's activity dropped significantly and only recently within the last 20 years it has begun to find a niche in post-panamax ships trading with Asia-Pacific countries and increasingly large cruise ships that use it as a homeport for itineraries bewteen it and Buenos Aires/Montevideo.

The was decade long attempt to upscale the port to meet the demands of these new niches, thus enlarging the economic output that the port can give to the city, but the popular voices, complicated legislation and simply the lack of available space have made that project a near impossible task as of now.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Messages In This Thread
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Insertnamehere - 05-06-2016, 03:35 AM
Cities, Neighborhoods, and Communities - by Emiliano - 05-06-2016, 10:41 PM