Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer?
[MENTION=22914]Cobalt[/MENTION] If you have never built a computer and have relatively no clue what you're singing up for have a look at this video...it is about 30 minutes, touches on pretty much the jist of everything...I'll follow up with more detail on all the steps. Of course, every computer build differs but I think most cases between things like the video and some pointers I have you should be able to build pretty much whatever you want.

Have a look at that first, see what you think and if you're still not like screw it I'll go into more detail. Just a FYI, used to work at a computer repair shop, worked there for about 5 years and have built many many desktop computers, some gaming computers...some which sold for $2500...rack mount servers a few times. Most of which went to the local school district, I've probably built somewhere around 1,000 computers...repaired god knows how many. Now, that being said it has been a while since I have built one from the ground up as the places I have worked didn't require me to do so, but there have been a few exceptions so yeah it's not like I've forgotten but I may leave out some tips and potientially something important, like screws, or grounding youself that sort of thing.

Now some possible options for your laptop, which by the way, while it might not play Street Fighter IV or V (It might play IV) it will likely play everything you have mentioned so far. You can get what is called a docking station. I've seen these used and they pretty much turn your laptop into a desktop system. You would need a monitor, keyboard and mouse...all this ties back to the docking station... If your laptop isn't able to mate up to an OEM docking station you can simply plug a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly. Still not the real thing but you'll be using all the same peripherals you would use with a desktop. That is the cheap option you can take opposed to building a computer. Mind you, not trying to talk you out of building a computer, just throwing out other options you might not have thought about.

That being said, peripherals, what do you have, what things like monitor, keyboard and mouse are going to eat into your budget? Monitors being the bigger one, but if you plan on getting a nice mechanical gaming keyboard this stuff adds up then you're really limiting what you can build...unless you start spacing things out on what you buy at once. If we're at ground zero...probably going to be very difficult to build anything of much decency for under $1,000 if we're needing to factor in things like a monitor of you require higher end things like gaming keyboards and mice... Or headset, lots of folks want those for their Everquest raids lol (ring ring 2006 called and wants their MMORPG's back lol). Anyway, I think depending on your answers to those we need to make a list of things that are going to be part of your build that will be going against your budget (I'll include the hardware -- we can adjust that as necessary should the need arise).

Sorry to ask all these questions but it does make it easier to get a baseline on everything that is needed. I wouldn't just send you a bunch of a link and be like hey buy this stuff and put it together not knowing whether or not you knew what you were doing.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on and we'll start there and see what we got.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by LJay - 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by ceez - 08-04-2016, 07:18 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by Cuddly - 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by SilverBullet - 08-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by CorsacReborn - 08-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by SilverBullet - 08-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by Gideon - 08-05-2016, 01:58 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by rich4421972 - 08-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by rich4421972 - 08-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by Gideon - 08-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by rich4421972 - 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Do I need to build a "gaming" computer? - by InbetweenDreams - 08-08-2016, 02:47 AM