Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immigrants from the past
Emiliano Wrote:That interesting, thanks for sharing that info. I wouldnt have assumed that about immigrants coming from other Latin American countries. It does make sense though thinking about it in terms of the historical relationships.

Is there a lot of immigration between countries the area in general, or is there something specific about Argentina that draws people there? Like different economic situations/opportunities?

And what were the strings attached to the British influence that you mentioned?

Pfft, Latino coutries have spent more time bickering at each other than shaking hands. Integration is a thing now, though

You would have to ask an Argentine citizen about further detail, but, if I know our neighbours well enough: when it comes to Europeans back then, it was all about seeking easier moneymaking. Buenos Aires has a strategic gateway location, connecting and controling the passage from the Atlantic to the Paraguay-Paraná-Uruguay river system via the River Plate delta, meaning it connected Paraguay, Eastern Bolivia and inner Brazil (along with its own territories) with European markets. Bussiness making from some industrious peeps must have been quite easy when you came from a wealthy country.

Something similar was valid here, back then my city was one of the most important ports in the South Pacific, serving ships rounding Cape Horn (before the Panama canal was opened) so, trade, trade, trade. It was all about bussinesses.

The Argentine pampas are also a major agricultural zone providing meat, dairy and grain for many markets, so no matter what you chose to do, Argentina was a good place to immigrate to if you were European.

Overall, newly independent countries that were avid of knowledge and technology for development willingly invited them. They came rushing because upon ending Spanish rule, also ended its mercantilistic policies and monopolies. A whole new market was now open to the world. Again: trade, trade, trade.

I reckon the liked the Southern Cone better than they did other places due to the temperate climate too.

As for Latino-to-Latino immigration it's really a thing of the past 20 years. There was always some small scale immigration between neighbouring countries, but only now it is picking up. That is purely an economic thing. Southern Cone countries have done better economically, overall, than the rest of South America in the past 20-30 years, so consequentially, there is more immigration towards these countries.

I would say that the Southern Cone is less afflicted by internal conflicts that have the reach of the FARC in Colombia for example.

It is also easier now because of what I said: integration efforts.

In the 90s MERCOSUR was created to provide for a common market, visa liberalization, mutual investement, increase trade etc. Core and member countries in this common market provide a more mobile work force, as a consequence. Even merely "associated" countries like mine share some benefits (like yours truly being able to hop around most of South America without a visa or passport).
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Messages In This Thread
Immigrants from the past - by LONDONER - 10-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Immigrants from the past - by Insertnamehere - 10-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Immigrants from the past - by Emiliano - 10-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Immigrants from the past - by Insertnamehere - 10-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Immigrants from the past - by Emiliano - 10-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Immigrants from the past - by Insertnamehere - 10-08-2016, 12:00 AM