Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?"
I remember hearing my sisters say it when they talked about boys. When I was a kid we had a gay neighbor across the hall, that was explained to me at some point by one of my sisters too. I remember that because her explanation led to some confusion in my mind later about what two gay men actually did with each other.

There also was/is? a free children's theater in the village and maybe it was in 3rd grade that my class took a field trip there. I remember my teacher prepping us about other people's lifestyles before we went. A kid in my class clarified it was because that's where all the gay people lived. I remember being really curious about the trip, but super bored by the play.

I don't think I was very sheltered from the word or the concept. So much so that it's really hard to pinpoint the first time I heard it.

Messages In This Thread
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by knickerbuck - 10-22-2016, 02:14 PM
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by larafan25 - 10-22-2016, 10:05 PM
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by TwisttheLeaf - 10-22-2016, 10:30 PM
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by Emiliano - 10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by Confuzzled4 - 10-23-2016, 02:16 AM
How old were you when first encountered the word "gay?" - by NativeSon - 10-27-2016, 06:58 AM